Wide Penn 49...?

Started by Aiala, April 28, 2015, 09:04:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zimbass

Quote from: Superhook on May 05, 2015, 08:49:43 PM

SEARCH HERE http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/jsp/tradesearch/TradeSearch.jsp

Search "Penn 49 fishing reel" ...and wide 49 and 49A reels would appear too .if there are any.

If you do the search and find something you want, the price quoted is Rands, which convert at 12 to 1.
Never was so much owed by so many to so few.

George4741

viurem lliures o morirem

Penn Chronology

QuoteA wide 49 sold for $199.99 on eBay the other day.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261875660875?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

It is interesting to watch the sales of the wide 49. Many sellers do not know how to present the reel, consequently, people that are searching for the wide models miss the listings and the wide versions sell at a much lower price. This particular seller knew exactly what his was and presented it correctly.

The thing about his presentation is he used my book as a reference to verify the reel's history :D.  How could I not be pleased with that?

CapeFish

$199! I am going to do a more serious search for these things, they usually go for around $20 in pawn shops regardless if it is a 49a or a 49

Keta

$20+$50 shipping gives you room for profit.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Aiala

Quote from: Penn Chronology on May 13, 2015, 02:02:36 PM
It is interesting to watch the sales of the wide 49. Many sellers do not know how to present the reel, consequently, people that are searching for the wide models miss the listings and the wide versions sell at a much lower price.

Some folks just seem to be naturally lucky. I most definitely am not, but... well, guess what??   :o

As Mike says, many sellers do not know how to present these reels. This guy neglected to specify the 'A', (although it was clearly visible on the box), with the result that the reel sat on eBay for an entire week without a single bid or even a watcher besides myself! I couldn't believe my eyes, so naturally I nabbed it for an embarrassing pittance.   :D

The side plate just says '49' (rats) but it is nonetheless a reel beauty. Not mint, there are a few tiny spots on the bars and seat, and the rings have some scuffs on top where it looks like some idiot put the reel down on a rough surface, but these are really pretty minor blemishes. I know it is a South African reel because the little red price tag (206.75!) reads  "V.A.T. INCLUDED/B.T.W. INGESLUIT" ('ingesluit' is Afrikaans for 'included'.) The seller was in Wisconsin, of all places... how the reel got there from South Africa is doubtless quite a story, but one which will remain a mystery.

Of course the question remains, what am I going to do with it? I'm not a collector, I like to use my reels, but even I know better than to take this one fishing. Guess I'll just squirrel it away until I need to sell it so I can buy something even cooler.   ;D

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Alto Mare

You still did good Aiala, I'm sure that box was worth it on its own. Maybe some of these serious collectors here will make you a nice offer you can't refuse. :D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Tightlines667

I am interested, but am running a bit short on funds at the moment  :-[

...owing to just purchasing a few collector reels, and parts for a Newell 454 narrow full upgrade, and JigMaster 500.  Surprising that the head plate is not marked '49A' though.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Dominick

Aiala you dun good... Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Superhook

Aiala ,

Well spotted . Good provenance with the 'A' on the box and the South Africa price sticker.   A possible Retirement Nest Egg for later when you need the cash .

Ray

Penn Chronology

Aiala,

I am glad this reel went to someone in the know. The reel is a difficult find in the USA, even without the "A" in the logo; but the box is a treasure. I will not suggest what I think it is worth, at the risk of someone here biting me, I will only say that it is the first "A" marked box I have ever seen in the USA. Boxes never make the round trip back from South Africa. That is a very rare find. The era of the box and the standard logo reel suggest the 1970's, IMHO.

Congratulations on the rare find,

All the Best,

Mike C.

thorhammer

Quote from: Aiala on September 09, 2015, 10:03:39 PM
It is interesting to watch the sales of the wide 49. Many sellers do not know how to present the reel, consequently, people that are searching for the wide models miss the listings and the wide versions sell at a much lower price.

Some folks just seem to be naturally lucky. I most definitely am not, but... well, guess what??   :o

As Mike says, many sellers do not know how to present these reels. This guy neglected to specify the 'A', (although it was clearly visible on the box), with the result that the reel sat on eBay for an entire week without a single bid or even a watcher besides myself! I couldn't believe my eyes, so naturally I nabbed it for an embarrassing pittance.   :D

The side plate just says '49' (rats) but it is nonetheless a reel beauty. Not mint, there are a few tiny spots on the bars and seat, and the rings have some scuffs on top where it looks like some idiot put the reel down on a rough surface, but these are really pretty minor blemishes. I know it is a South African reel because the little red price tag (206.75!) reads  "V.A.T. INCLUDED/B.T.W. INGESLUIT" ('ingesluit' is Afrikaans for 'included'.) The seller was in Wisconsin, of all places... how the reel got there from South Africa is doubtless quite a story, but one which will remain a mystery.

Of course the question remains, what am I going to do with it? I'm not a collector, I like to use my reels, but even I know better than to take this one fishing. Guess I'll just squirrel it away until I need to sell it so I can buy something even cooler.   ;D

~A~

thorhammer

NOT A COLLECTOR???? I must admit I choked a bit on that one after the amazing array of conversions and display, meaning not on rods,  you posted a couple weeks ago :)  J

Quote from: Aiala on September 09, 2015, 10:03:39 PM

~A~

Islandgypsy

The Reel EBay Queen strikes again. Wow,congratulations!

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!