Wide Penn 49...?

Started by Aiala, April 28, 2015, 09:04:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aiala

This reel is currently up on eBay:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/161686199013?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Is it a genuine (rare) oddity, or am I just so clueless that I've never seen one before? It looks like an early Mariner, but on the side it only says "DEEP SEA REEL". Plus, of course, that weird wide plastic spool...  ???

To quote John Lennon: "Most peculiar, Momma!"

~A~

P.S. I can't conjure up a rational reason to bid on it, so I won't.  ::)
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

foakes

Hi Aiala --

So when did we start practicing "rational reasoning"?

Or did I miss a memo?

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Superhook

The wide #49 had its beginning in South Africa . Penn then produced a #49A for the South African market. The wide #49 does appear on US Ebay and very rarely you will see one marked on the headplate as #49A . None had a metal spool. There were hot rodders in Sth Africa way back ( Before the AT site) .  Mike must have an in depth article in his new book as it was in an edition of the ORCA Reel News Magazine.

So even though it was never in the catalog it is a genuine Penn made reel.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PENN-49-Wide-Spool-Reel-Unusual-/261867742760?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cf888a628
Another .

Penn Chronology

QuoteIs it a genuine (rare) oddity, or am I just so clueless that I've never seen one before? It looks like an early Mariner, but on the side it only says "DEEP SEA REEL". Plus, of course, that weird wide plastic spool

Aiala,

You are not clueless at all, my new book, in chapter 13 tells all about this reel and a few others. You have probably not seen a 49A, but, it is a very real Penn product originating in the 1950's because of the extreme fishing off the South African Atlantic coast. Imagine catching 150 pound Yellowfin Tuna off a rock jettie and you will begin to understand the origins of the wide 49. When this reel was built, there were no fast retrieve surf casting reels with large enough line capacities to throw lures to tuna, the wide 49 was the parent of later high speed reels.

It is very rare to find the original version with the "A" in the logo (they were all exported to South Africa) but Penn did contract a larger number of spools and later sold 49A reels using a standard Penn 49 logo. Finding a wide 49 is not easy at all, but, it is easier to find them without the "A" in the logo.

This is an original 1950's 49A from South Africa, the one in the EBay listing is built the same way using parts that may or may not have been exported. The spool is the unique part. The cross bars and stand are interchangeable with a Penn 500 Jigmaster.

Jerseymic

I found this wide 49 sometime back, unfortunately it doesn't have the A.

Mike.

Penn Chronology

QuoteI found this wide 49 sometime back, unfortunately it doesn't have the A.

That is the later version of the reel. It is neat collectible and also hard to find. There is a South African forum where these wide 49's exist more so than in the USA. Navigating is a learning process but a very worthwhile learning process, with many discoveries and many very interesting people to encounter. Registration is free, like here.

http://www.sealine.co.za/view_forum.php?id=1

Jerseymic

Quote from: Penn Chronology on April 29, 2015, 02:30:31 PM
QuoteI found this wide 49 sometime back, unfortunately it doesn't have the A.

That is the later version of the reel. It is neat collectible and also hard to find. There is a South African forum where these wide 49's exist more so than in the USA. Navigating is a learning process but a very worthwhile learning process, with many discoveries and many very interesting people to encounter. Registration is free, like here.

http://www.sealine.co.za/view_forum.php?id=1

Thanks for the link Mike, I will take a look.

Mike.

UKChris

Thank you for the information. I saw this reel listed and wondered whether there was something wrong with the photo as I'd never before heard of a wide 49. Now I am better informed (though none the wiser  ;))

Chris

CapeFish

I see 49a's in various states fairly often in 2nd hand shops here I am sure most have the 'a'. It was the rock and surf reel for many years in South Africa. They are usually pretty cheap I will take a closer look next time. I  never owned one. A friend of mine did but we unfortunately destroyed it ballooning for sharks. Will you guys be interested? The thing is how to I  get them to the US at a reasonable cost?

Penn Chronology

QuoteI see 49a's in various states fairly often in 2nd hand shops here I am sure most have the 'a'. It was the rock and surf reel for many years in South Africa. They are usually pretty cheap I will take a closer look next time. I  never owned one. A friend of mine did but we unfortunately destroyed it ballooning for sharks. Will you guys be interested? The thing is how to I  get them to the US at a reasonable cost?

I do not believe you can ship anything Internationally anymore at a reasonable cost. Shipping on the Penn 49A from South Africa would cost approximately $50.00. No doubt that South Africa is the place to find them. I think they can even be found with the box. The original first version 49A was marked on the reel and the box.

The export Jigmaster model is only marked on the box

These reel boxes are from the 1960's and they are limited production. So, even though they are more easily found in South Africa, I would think a export box with the "A" printed on the box would command a hefty price in the U.S.A.

These pictures are sent to me from a South African collector.

Superhook

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/jsp/tradesearch/TradeSearch.jsp

I have been searching this S.A.  site for a long time and most of the wide #49 reels that are listed are "Wide #49's" very few are "#49A's " . Of the three #49's listed right now one is a standard #49 and the other two are wide 49's.

redsetta

Great thread - thanks for all the insight Mike!
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Tightlines667

What do the locals in South Africa use as their auction and/or classifieds site.  They have Craigslist but don't appear to use it.  No EBAY.  Any ideas of other online sites whete these rare/elusive vintage south african reels may be found for sale?
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Superhook

SEARCH HERE http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/jsp/tradesearch/TradeSearch.jsp

Search "Penn 49 fishing reel" ...and wide 49 and 49A reels would appear too .if there are any.

Penn Chronology

Keep your eyes pealed on EBay for 49A's. I have found two over the years. You never know how they will appear. Most people do not realize they are very special models and simply post them as Penn 49's.