80# Braid on a 113h - two questions

Started by tab, April 29, 2015, 04:02:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tab

I was given a 300 yard spool of 80# braided line and was thinking of dropping it on a 113h.
The reel was just serviced and I added the 5+1 Carbontex drag washer kit.

65# seems pretty normal for this reel but there's not as many posts with folks using the heavier line on a 4/0.

If I tape the spool and tension the line while I load it up should I expect any issues in the field?

Also, with a spool capacity of 600 yards of 0.016 inch line (mono or braid) should I plan on backing the 300 yards of braid to help fill up the spool?

Thanks for any suggestions.

bestout

I dont know if 113h and 113 share the same spool specs but i have 300 yards of 80 pound braid and about 170 yards of 50 pound on top.
The monsters in my head are scared......

Bryan Young

Or do a step splice where you start with 80# braid then splice 65# on top to fill the reel.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

tab

Quote from: Bryan Young on April 29, 2015, 04:17:52 AM
Or do a step splice where you start with 80# braid then splice 65# on top to fill the reel.

Great suggestion and one I hadn't thought of.
The reels I'm used to using may max out at 150-200 yards so after spooling a one-shot to them I've been done in the past.

fsrmn

What they said ;D I waxed the spool good before I taped it so it wouldn't corrode under the tape. It's good to use a lighter mono on top of the braid so if you break off you keep the expensive stuff ;)
Not all fishing is done with rod and reel.

FatTuna

Nothing wrong with using heavier line. I know some charter guys who do it because you can pick out the backlashes easier. The 4/0 holds a lot of line.

gstours

Yes you must add backing under your 300 yds of 80# I do it to my reels as I think they perform better that way when full,  you will be suprised how much a 4/0 will hold as braid is thin thats the whole idea>   with out backing your reel will appear to be half full!   my 2 cents worth. gst.

Reel 224

Is there anything wrong with backing the spool with mono? It's what I have done with the two reels that I have braid on, not really sure I did the right thing after reading this post.
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

FatTuna

I usually back my reels with dacron because it lasts longer. The salt water will seep down below and eventually weaken the mono. Mono also develops that annoying line memory especially when it's on the bottom of the spool. Mono is fine to use but you have to change it out from time to time. You have to change dacron too but I trust it more and it lasts longer. The only reels that I don't put backing on are the ones that have a pin/post to connect your line to.

Rivverrat

I have experienced braid spin & slip when laid on top of mono backing. 

thorhammer

The main question is what will you use the reel for? Trolling, bottom bouncing or lobbing a bait? The reel should perform well with that.  I'd back it with 50 lb mono and leave room for a mono topshot that you can tailor to your need. That should give you about 500 yards. Plenty. For bottom fishing topshot 20 feet of 80 mono; for slinging or trolling you may want 100 yds of 50 or 60. Great versatile reel set this way. 

js1172

braid is not as abrasion resistant as mono, and cuts easier. I would spool the braid on the bottom, about 80 yards of 60-80# mono on top, and 50# mono in the middle, that gives you some stretch on the working end, the extra capacity of the braid and 50 to fill the spool. and much cheaper to change out the mono a couple times a season instead of having worn braid on top that will be worn after 1 season, braid on the bottom will last several seasons of fishing.
js
Our houses are protected by the good lord and a gun, ya might meet them both if ya show up here not welcome son
way out here/Josh Thompson

steelfish

good ideas in this thead, I wa about to ask about spooling a 113h

at the end what do you think will be less prone to corrode the spool as backing:

- 50 yds of 80# dacron then 300 yds 80# braid and later 60# mono to the end
- 50 yds of 60# mono then 300 yds 80# braid and later 60# mono to the end

The Baja Guy

Keta

I prefer to use Dacron but mono does not absorb water nearly as much as Dacron so mono will be less prone to corrosion.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

steelfish

thanks Lee.

then I will keep using the same way I've been using for long time.

The Baja Guy