First time out using a reel I worked on

Started by dustin.brace, December 12, 2010, 01:01:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dustin.brace

OK, so Tuesday I am going out on a half day with my Penn 555GS that I cleaned up. This is the first time that I am taking out a reel on which I have done work. I am nervous that I will get out there and discover that it does not work, can anyone offer any advice on how to test it out and make sure that everything is in working order. It does not go in reverse and I have discovered what a birdsnest is (never used a conventional reel before...). I know I sound like a noob.
" height="90" width="160

Norcal Pescador

No worries, Dustin.
Mount your reel on a rod and loosen the drag so you can pull some line. You don't have to run the line through the guides. While slowly pulling line, gradually tighten the drag so you can feel it working. Reel the line back in under a light to moderate drag to feel it slipping. While slowly pulling line off with a very light drag, flip the freespool lever on and off a few times. Tighten the drag pretty hard and if you have a fish or luggage scale you can put a loop in the end of your line and pull until the spool slips to see how much drag you have.

If you've done this without any issues popping up, go catch 'em! ;D ;D
Good luck!
Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Phinaddict

Dustin,
A bit of education is in order here.... other people generate birdsnests.
You have joined a very select group of fishermen and women.  Now that you are in the circle, you no longer
generate birdsnests...kids do that. 

Now that you have decided to use conventional reels, you will have to learn how to cast them. It's a little bit
art, a little bit science and a little bit thumb. Your first few times out, you will, in all likelyhood, get frustrated
because you will rear back, cast the rod, and generate the mother of all birdsnests.....from now on known as
a "professional overrun".   ;D

Do a search here, I know that more than one person has given great tips on learning to cast.

Have fun!
Gene
The Two Rules of Success:
1. Don't tell everything you know

dustin.brace

Tonight when I went out I had a "professional overrun" or two but it all worked out in the end. Though there were only lizard fish to be had, it was an enjoyable night. The 555GS functioned as needed and I had no problems. I got better with casting as time went by. I am a bit worried because I am going out on a half day boat on Tuesday and taking along the conventional reel. It will work out, I am sure. I appreciate everyone's help, I certainly have been asking a bunch of questions!
" height="90" width="160

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: dustin.brace on December 12, 2010, 06:41:11 AM
Tonight when I went out I had a "professional overrun" or two but it all worked out in the end. Though there were only lizard fish to be had, it was an enjoyable night. The 555GS functioned as needed and I had no problems. I got better with casting as time went by. I am a bit worried because I am going out on a half day boat on Tuesday and taking along the conventional reel. It will work out, I am sure. I appreciate everyone's help, I certainly have been asking a bunch of questions!
Don't worry about the questions - that's how to learn! And as for using a conventional reel on a half-day boat, I see very few spinners being used on saltwater boats and unless you're tossing live bait to yellowtails or tuna, overhead casting is almost non-existant. All you need for successful long-distance casting is for your thumb to get "educated" aka 'experience'.

Tight lines!
Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Roger

Dustin, it's a learning experience, like learning to walk or riding a bicycle, once you learn you'll never forget. You've serviced your own reel, you know it's in top shape. Now it's time to go out and have some fun and that's what it's all about.
Roger

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."   Mark Twain

Bryan Young

Success is great, isn't it?  Do worry too much.  Just go have some fun, and it will all come together.  If you need a back up, I would recommend a tough spinner combo.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

well, yeah, success is nice, but if you're like the rest of us, you'll screw something up eventually! ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!