The Jigmaster Project

Started by Rothmar2, April 30, 2015, 10:51:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rothmar2

Cheers for all the compliments guys, I really hope that this thread inspires and can give some guidance to someone out there to have a go themselves. Yes, this frame has taken a lot of time and effort, and even though it's not finished, the sense of satisfaction I have gained from attempting this has outweighed the challenges and difficulties I've had to overcome. Yeah a Mill would be fantastic, but unfortunately the man who offered to assist me with this project (who had a mill) passed away two days ago. I've come far enough using hand and hand-held power tools that I will finish this frame this way. But I will be looking into maybe contracting the milling work for the 501 frames to come. Mike (mhc) has gone above and beyond behind the scenes on this project for me, and I owe it to his generosity to produce a couple of shmick frames for his kindness. I'll get there Mike, it's just gonna take time.
I can't recommend taking on a project of kind enough for all of us who have this reel obsession. It really does open up a whole new skill set that you can apply to your reel work.
  Once again, thanks for the words of encouragement, and thank you for your interest.

Maxed Out

Very sorry to hear about your good friend passing. May he rest in peace

Thanks for sharing all your amazing wizardry and imagination and talent.

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

mhc

Sorry to hear about your mate passing. I know you had a lot of respect for him and what he had achieved - from being involved in the design and construction of rock tunneling machines for hydro-electric schemes during his professional career, to building timber boats for personal satisfaction - and fly fishing. 
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Rothmar2

Thanks Ted and Mike. Yes, everyone who switches on a light down here owes him a debt of gratitude. Even up until a few years ago, he was still getting flown around the world to consult on tunneling projects. The few days I had with him fly-fishing out of his beautiful timber boat weren't enough. A great man, and true gentleman in every sense of the word.

Rothmar2

Getting close to the polishing stage of the frame. I have been able to fit in a bit of time while home to refine the cut-outs with some filing, just an hour here and there.

Also narrowed and shortened the seat feet (poet and didn't know it).

Tools used have been rat-tail files, couple of sizes and cuts, flats, and 1/2 rounds. Then needle files to do the rounding off. A dremel with a sanding drum has also had a bit of a run as well. Still don't think I'll have this reel finished anytime soon.
 But am looking forward to having the frame finished soon.

Robert Janssen

Good stuff. Thumbs up & pat on back. Seriously.

That is good work, and done by hand it is of another realm entirely. I know it is; i too spent a lot of time with drills and files and eyeball measurements back in the old days. The fact that it might turn out a little lopsided or not-quite-perfect just adds value to me.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Robert Janssen on March 14, 2016, 11:59:35 AM

Good stuff. Thumbs up & pat on back. Seriously.

That is good work, and done by hand it is of another realm entirely. I know it is; i too spent a lot of time with drills and files and eyeball measurements back in the old days. The fact that it might turn out a little lopsided or not-quite-perfect just adds value to me.

I agree with Doc.
Having a little imperfection reveals that it was built by a master and not a robot ;).
You have something very valuable there my friend and it should never go up for sale.
Sal 
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

STRIPER LOU

Awesome work Rothmar! Nothing like a mechanic with great hands. Wish you lived close by. We would have a blast together in the shop!
Regards,  ..  Lou

mhc

I'll go out on a limb and say that you have hand crafted the strongest jigmaster frame in the known world!
Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Penn Chronology

QuoteI'll go out on a limb and say that you have hand crafted the strongest jigmaster frame in the known world!
Mike

You are not out on a limb, you are the tree!..............!

As I look at the progress of this project, the word that keeps bouncing around in my head is WOW! This is a true labor of love. Think down the road about 100 years, some tackle guy is at a garage sale and see this old dusty reel in a bucket, buys it for $12.95. When he cleans it up, he see it is heavy and extremely engineered, so he takes some pictures, goes to his computer and writes a post on some future tackle collectors website. The post turns into a 30 page discussion until one of the members finds this old thread, lost in cyberspace for many years. Now fully documented, the reel go up for auction and some future collector is able to send his children to college from the sale of this masterpiece. What better legacy could a mechanic want?

Shark Hunter

I think the Key word there Mike is Masterpiece! ;)
Life is Good!

Tiddlerbasher

Rothmar2

Thanks again for all the positive comments. Don't know of this frame is "The Masterpiece" yet. I hope after I do a couple of narrow frames I might have mastered things a bit better.
Mike, I have wondered during the hours of work  where this reel would finish up in the distant future. Certainly would be nice to be looking down and seeing your scenario play out.

I had a bit of a play with the polishing for a couple of hours today.

I used these as an experiment for removing some scratches and smoothing off

I just glued some 200 grit wet/dry to a worn out sanding drum, with Selleys Quik Grip. I had a couple pre-prepared. I keep them lubed with WD 40 while using them. The grit will wear down, but it's not too much of a big deal to glue another strip onto the   Sleeve if need be. Keep them wet, and they will last a reasonable amount of time.
  I then hit surfaces with the mini felt polishing discs for the Dremel. Used  Bordo polishing compound to bring out the shine.
Actually getting excited the frame is almost done.

Penn Chronology

[quoteMike, I have wondered during the hours of work  where this reel would finish up in the distant future. Certainly would be nice to be looking down and seeing your scenario play out.
][/quote]

There is no doubt that you are creating a piece of work that will go down in history. If you spent the rest of your life creating and selling these works, the best you could ever expect your market category to be would be true "Limited Editions". Every special interest has a high end, I believe you have raised the bar for fishing reels.

Rothmar2

Mike, once again thank you for your positive words. I'm not sure about me personally, raising the bar for fishing reels. There are a lot of people who have come before me, and many others still doing it,who deserve that accolade.  My motivation for all this largely came from seeing the SS plates Alan Chui had made for Sal. There was a bit of banter about "just need a SS frame now to get an all SS jigmaster". It got me thinking, "Could a frame be made?" Yes it can. Would I want to fish with an all SS Jiggy? No, probably not. Too heavy IMO, unless someone more skilled than this hack, could get the overall SS scantlings reducd to the point where the reel could be "practically fishable". To develop this is an entirely different realm from what I am capable of. That would truly be the ultimate "high end" for this design of reel.
  Anyway,  a little more to add to this after that ramble. While I have been at work this last few weeks, I haven't had the time or energy to put into this project until just the last week or so.
 I have done the ratchet, remade the shifter to make it a bit easier to get some purchase on. The stainless part is about 3mm higher than stock, and if you look close, there is a 1.5mm thick Black Delrin washer under it. This gives enough height to make it easier to get a decent push against, even with the extra ring for the left plate.

And the E-clip on the other end, with handmade pawl. Still a bit more fine tuning to do here, the ratchet is a bit stiff for my liking.

It may come as a surprise to those of you who have followed this, but I won't be doing any drag upgrades to this reel. I have decided to set this reel up for trolling with light line. The drag will be kept stock. With the weight of the frame, it's not going to be a reel to handle all day jigging/casting etc.  The stock steel main  gear will remain as well.
 I have however followed Irish Jiggers Jigmaster double dogging thread and added the extra dog, set for alternating.

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=5966.0

The extra one currently is made from some work hardened brass (Piston shim plate from the ship's main engines, done 40,000hrs). I found some 2mm thick stainless sheet in some scrap today, will remake the dogs in stainless soon. I have the SS sleeve already. I have also cut the delrin U/G washer (left), original fibre on the right.

Now to the biggest gripe with this frame (aside from weight). The next photo is looking at the front cross-bar holes (facing the rod guides) with the lock and right side rings in place. You can see what I mean about not aligned. The top hole, not that big a deal, but the lower of the two is a problem, thinking I may have to leave this screw out altogether.

So I'm going to have to redo the frame drilling jig. Rather than go all out and make another, I have simply peened in some 2.5mm welding rod into the original holes to block them up. I will skim the faces of the jig true again, and will carefully use a set of Tom's Cortez plates as my template to re-punch the centres, and then re-drill the jig's holes, and re-check before proceeding with the 501 width frames.

I won't get it done this trip, but I have a couple of ideas to trim some more weight from the frame. And next swing, I will get the crank and handle done. I'm hoping to get the clutch lever and the spacer sleeve made before going home in a week. SS of course!