Quantum PTS Reels

Started by Pier Rat, December 13, 2010, 03:07:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pier Rat

Has anybody worked on these, I just picked up the PTS 16 and want to improve the drag and want some advice on that and any other up grades.

alantani

i would be curious to take a look inside.  they have a great looking line of reels but they probably do not have carbon fiber drag washers.  the numbering system is a little confusing and i was not able to figure out which one you had from their website.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Pier Rat

alantani

whoa, nice looking reel!  it's the same mantra - greased carbon fiber drag washers, open spool bearing, non-spool bearings packed with grease and grease on all the non-exposed metal surfaces. 

i would love to get a contact within quantum to talk about their reels.  they've got alot of potential. 

Pier Rat

If anbody is interested in getting one, the 16 is the narrow version the one pictured looks like the 30 and they also have a 20.

I picked it up at Big-5 for $89 during a sale the week before Thansgiving , I also used a $10 coupon so I paid $79 plus tax, they still have some and sometimes if you speak to the manager you can still get the sale price otherwise it had a $149 sticker, the Quantum site quotes $219.

I saw a post on another site saying they could not get the rated drag and one person said he used a ball-peened hammer to get more of a bevell on the spring washers and also reconmended a tear-down and re-grease and possable install of carbon fiber washers.

wallacewt

whats your thoughts on that alan.bend the washer instead of adding 1

alantani

probably doesn't matter........

Pier Rat

I have yet to tear it down, just looking to see if anybody has done so yet and if so what size washers to order and if another reels spring washers will fit I will  search this site about adding another washer, could I add one or two as in a double set of beveled washers?

Bryan Young

Try email them about their drags.  You may not need to upgrade if they are using carbon fiber drags.

quantum@zebco.com
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

it's just a matter of how much room you have.  regarding the bellevilles, it is true that the bellevilles will deliver presure on the outer rim of the metal washer and, in theory, result in higher drag ranges.  from a practical point, it probably makes very little difference. 

Pier Rat

Thank you, I will try some carbontex maybe order a sheet and use gasket punch to make the right size

alantani

sheets are very expensive.  better to measure out the drag washers and then match them up to something on the penn list. 

Pier Rat

I copied and pasted the following from another post from someone who was trying to increase drag also.

(So I took measurements for the drags and got:
34mm x 8mm and 38mm x 8mm. Both are 0.48mm thick.)

Does Smootrh Drag or Penn make any thing close?

Just checked smooth dran site and the size list for carbontex, some are close I guess I will have to modify. 

Bryan Young

Hey PierRat,

Could you take pics of your current drag washers and post them?  We'd be interested to see what the reel comes with.

Thanks,
Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Pier Rat

I will when I tear it apart, I wanted to get the replacements washers first, but it looks like I will have to wait till after next week.  

The washers seem bigger than the tourium or daiwa 30T and 40s', I will see when its apart, the drop down gear bot is bigger tahn my 30T or 40 but from the outside who knows.