Tube n Worm rigs using old wire line (cheap)

Started by STRIPER LOU, May 01, 2015, 01:03:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

STRIPER LOU

Hi all, I probably go thru 300+ feet of surge tube every year. Although I myself like the real surgical tubing, some of the guys want the plastic. I started saving my old wire line and using it for the inside so we could make these things cheap.

Start off with 4 pcs of  used wire about 2 1/2 ft. long. (you can twist 2 pairs together)
Using a tight like haywire twist secure hook. 8/0, 9/0. and 10/0. I use all 9/0 and 10/0 for myself. Wrap tightly (no spacing) about 1 1/2" back from the eye of the hook. Crimp sleeve to secure.
3 sleeves are used altogether. Use to buy them. Way too expensive. Thinwall SS tubing .187 od about .145 id from McMaster cut to I/2" length.
I/2 to 3/4 oz egg sinkers work best but I also make a lot of them with no sinker.
Crimp another sleeve about 3 to 3 1/2" down from the front and add sinker. Sleeve stops sinker from sliding back.
Swivel is the most expensive part as I use one large enough to fill the inner diameter of the tubing.
Slide on another sleeve, do the twist again around the swivel and crimp last sleeve at the front side of the sinker.
Lubricate tube and slide on from hook end. Always make the wire first and cut tube last after measuring.
Tube length can be anywhere from 12" to ++.  I like 16 to 19 inches but have made large diameter ones as long as 36"

Cost to make is around $1.50. Been fishing Tube n Worm since the 60's. I've seen people put a wicked double S bend in these things or wind them around their fishing reel to get a tight bend so they go thru the water like a corkscrew. NG!!! A gentle bend 4 to 5 inches from the centerline is all you need. On rare occasions I'll put a very slight S bend but find the gentle curve works best. I fish my plugs at night thru early morning or on overcast days but when the sun is up and bright, these things can be killer.  They can be fished on braid but I like leadcore to get them down. 3 to 6 colors depending on depth with 12' 60lb fluro leader attached with a black SS 130lb Spro swivel. Fish them SLOOOOW! Big bass are not usually aggressive. Something that goes by them with a slow, lazy wobble rings the dinner bell, an easy meal they cant pass up!!! Many 30 to 50's have chewed on these things. Why not make your own and save some money. Always dress the end of the tube and every once in a while give the big swivel a shot of WD40.
..................Lou

bluefish69

Either I didn't see or you didn't write which wire are you using SS or Monel

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

STRIPER LOU

Hey Mike, I'm using SS wire. For me its works out cheaper as I buy bulk spools.

Capt Ahab

Do you ever add spinner blades and such? 

STRIPER LOU

Captain, I've tried spinner blades and rattles with some success but the tube by itself with a good amount of scent seems to work the best. I like to dress them with 2 otter tails. Put them on so that the 2 tails oppose each other. Last year for some reason the shorter tubes were working better. On a bright august day around lunch time I popped a nice 48 pounder on a 12" tube. I like any color as long as its RED.