Thumbar on BCX 6600 not working properly

Started by Breadfan, May 01, 2015, 05:42:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Breadfan

Hello all, new to the site but not to Ambassadeurs! I love them and have a few, however, I don't really like the Chinese ones and I only have one which was a gift. I've already replaced the pawl and the wormdrive, But I will give it credit for bringing in (barely) a couple of sharks in the 30 lb range. The latest flaw on this reel for me is the left side of the thumb bar will not come up upon re-engagement. Over time and with the help of a little beach sand, it sticks and I have to manually put my finger under it and lift while cranking. I've taken it down and cleaned it and it just sticks. Not sure what to do. The trash was my first thought but its epoxied onto a very nice Browning rod (broken reel seat) and its a good back up when I am surf fishing. For many years it was my only Rod with a decent size reel, now I have some shimanos and a couple of 7000's that took it's place but I would like to keep it if possible. I've read where this problem is common but haven't seen a fix for it. Only thing I can think of is attaching a spring on the left side to help it out but not sure how I'd do that. Maybe a small rubber band, like the ones used for braces and run it to the frame screw thingy above it? Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

Breadfan

Here is a pic.

Reel 224

Since I have never seen the inside of that reel, I'm wondering what...if any assistance does the left side bar have to bring it into position after you engage the retrieve. Have you called Garcia to ask them for some information on this reels problem, since you have mentioned that it is a common problem I would think they might have a solution. But if not someone here that is more knowledgeable,I'm sure will be able to help you.   
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

foakes

Hi Bread --

Welcome!

Unfortunately, you likely will not like my opinion -- and someone else may have a better fix.

These reels are manufactured in China -- the reason is that ABU was bought out by another company a few years ago -- who have extensive ties to the Asian manufacturing tackle market.  

That is not to say that all products from China are weak or poor quality -- there are many thousands of manufacturers in China doing a very good job.  However, as a general rule, when a company buys out a major label -- then moves the majority of production to China -- the reality motive is saving money on labor, quality materials, and being able to offer a good brand label to major retailers on a volume basis.  Short term thinking and high profit margins being unleashed on unwary consumers.

Profit and plastic...

This was a $65 dollar reel new -- that even the new company had so many issues with -- they decided to discontinue production.

They since have come out with a replacement for this reel -- that is even more of a toy-looking thing.  Shiny, more plastic-- a WalMart or Big5 staple in the throw away reel market.

As a matter of fact, many folks do not realize that ABU actually contracted with WalMart to manufacture their reels at a certain low price point -- in order to use the ABU name.

The only way to get a reel down in a lower price range below the competition -- is to cut corners using inferior materials, lots of plastic, and lots of shiny bling.

There are things that should of/could have been done to have a thumb bar that would stay in alignment when cycled -- but the marketeers and corporate overseers would not allow that from a profit standpoint.

In the case of your 6600, after being stressed in the salt with small sharks -- it is likely not worth repairing.

However, I would completely clean every part -- de burr any gouges in plastic parts -- relube with oil and grease -- and try it again.  Even the cleaning operation may harm some of the components.

If it did not work -- I would toss it.  You can buy a couple of new springs from Scott's -- but that will not do the trick for long -- and that may not even be the issue.  Since there is no spring on the left side for the thumb bar -- there are other issues adding up here.  Pinion holder, yoke, other plastic chassis parts, etc...

When we try to repair a brick wall where the concrete underneath has started to rot away -- we can't just replace bricks -- the foundation must be rebuilt first.

If you like using these reels for your type of fishing -- I would consider buying a good condition similar ABU made in Sweden.

Good luck,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Reel 224

WOW Fred! That is real interesting to know, I haven't owned an Abu since the 60s so I wasn't aware of the change or degree of cheep you mentioned. Damned shame, they were a nice little reel back in the day.

I have a Diawa Fire Fox that has been cheapened in the same way, I caught quite a few Strippers with that reel and it is showing it's lack of engineering and dependability now. I have to take time to brake it down and see if it will be worth fixing. :-\ 
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Quote from: Reel 224 on May 02, 2015, 05:09:03 PM
WOW Fred! That is real interesting to know, I haven't owned an Abu since the 60s so I wasn't aware of the change or degree of cheep you mentioned. Damned shame, they were a nice little reel back in the day.  

Its not all the Ambassadeurs.  The C's and Record are still quality Swedish made.  The chinese Kalex and BCX have been rebadged and they sadly, very SADLY, put the Ambassadeur name on them as the S, SX and STX.  I hate to see the Ambassadeur name diluted like this.  A used Swedish made Ambassadeur is a much better target to throw your hard earned money at than these glitzy imitations.

Breadfan

Thank you all. Yes, I was aware this was a Chinese reel, it was a gift, and deep down inside I did not want to use it for that reason. I've always had smaller Abu's and all of them are Swedish. They perform so much better and they are so easy to take apart and put back together. I now have 2 older Swedish made 7000's and they are so smooth, especially after I upgraded them to smoothies. They are perfect for the Pompano over here on the east coast. I'm going to break it down one more time and clean it good, and if it works, cool. For what it was, it served it's purpose in it's short life. I do hope that they don't move everything to China one day, or I will be buying used Abus! Thank you all for welcoming me to the site!

Breadfan

I have a Diawa Fire Fox that has been cheapened in the same way, I caught quite a few Strippers with that reel and it is showing it's lack of engineering and dependability now. I have to take time to brake it down and see if it will be worth fixing. :-\ 
[/quote]

I also have a Japanese made Diawa Millionaire and it is built like a tank, very similar to the Abu's. They are now make some of them in China too, my daughter has one and it seems to be a little better built than the Chinese Abus, bur it hasn't stood the test of time yet.

Reel 224

Quote from: Breadfan on May 02, 2015, 07:58:35 PM

I also have a Japanese made Diawa Millionaire and it is built like a tank, very similar to the Abu's. They are now make some of them in China too, my daughter has one and it seems to be a little better built than the Chinese Abus, bur it hasn't stood the test of time yet.
[/quote]

I took the time to disassemble the Diawa Fire Fox today and it was in need of lubrication but otherwise in decent shape....no corrosion. But what I did find was not very impressive and that was plastic gears mixed with steel and the spool,which is plastic was poorly finished and needed fine sanding with 600grt to accomplish a smooth fit. After grease and 321 at the spool shaft bearings, it somewhat better. We will see how it works out Monday when I give it a test run. Seams like it's getting tougher to find a good reel at a reasonable price these days. Spending $200+ on a reel that is used for fishing fish in the 10-50# class is a bit excessive.   

Breadfan

Fixed. Took it apart again, slid the pin out, polished the frame where it was sticking, rounded off the plastic so it wouldn't hang. I then bent the pin just slightly to give it a little more leverage and volia', it's working again. For now!

Reel 224

Quote from: Breadfan on May 02, 2015, 11:14:19 PM
Fixed. Took it apart again, slid the pin out, polished the frame where it was sticking, rounded off the plastic so it wouldn't hang. I then bent the pin just slightly to give it a little more leverage and volia', it's working again. For now!

That's great!! Didn't take long to get into reel repair, Did it?

Breadfan

I bought my first baitcaster, a shakespeare President II back in 81, been hooked on them ever since. I own two of those reels now and they are nearly a spitin' image of the Abus on the inside, and they are made in USA to boot. I'm going to take it down soon and do a tutorial on it, they are just pretty reels. I've been hooked on this stuff for a number of years now! It's nice to buy and maintain the good baitcasters!

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Breadfan

johndtuttle

I would add that another trick to ease the return is to be sure that you have fresh springs like Foakes mentioned, but also to polish the inside of the pinion. Corrosion can start in there and make it sticky where it has to slide over the spool shaft. Your own thumb can overcome it on the down stroke, but the natural force of the springs can be overwhelmed by corrosion...FWIW...future reference as you seem to be GTG for now.