Reel Dumbass: 6501 C4 - Took Apart But Cain't Reassemble

Started by CATCH-ALL, May 02, 2015, 11:32:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CATCH-ALL

My Abu-Garcia 6501 C4 "left hand" reel was bought new in 2001 for bottomfishing jigging. I've used it for Striped Bass, Mutton Snapper (I'm a glutton for punishment), flounder, specks, redfish. I even loaded it up with 30 lb braided and used it to go deepdropping off Stuart near Pushbutton Hill to catch Snowie Grouper. I caught two IGFA world record Scorpionfish that way - one on the east coast and one off Gulf Shores Alabammy. It's a great reel - smoooooth. I read somewhere the newer ones are made in China now but this one's sideplate is stamped "Made In Sweden by your cousin Sven" (besides being a dumbass I'm also a Dumb Swede)

In all that time I'd never had it apart nor had it serviced. I merely soaped and rinsed it off after every use and sprayed some CRC on it. But I recently decided to take it apart and clean its innards, lightly grease it as needed.

I loosened the three knurled screws and removed the left hand side plate white lithium greasehere the handle is. Removed the spool. Lightly sprayed all the metal parts inside & out with CRC. Wiped off the excess CRC. Lightly greased a few spots.....and then couldn't reassemble the darn thing.

I know the Shimano Corsairs (I have the 301 and 401) wont go back together correctly unless you cock the doo-hickey for the thumb-release. Maybe that's the case here too but I haven't found where I'm screwing up?

I know this is generalities but any help or pointing me in the right direction is much appreciated.

Mark / Catch-All
Founder & President, 100 Fathom Fishing Club
100FFC.com

foakes

Welcome, Catch --

Couple of things --

Make sure the spool is inserted and seating all of the way in --

Keep the spool centrifugal brake blocks and brake pins horizontal when attaching the handle side plate -- and make sure the nylon brake blocks are as far towards the center axle as possible.  This will insure that they are not the culprit -- causing the head plate ring to not seat properly.

If you have everything installed correctly (pinion, yoke, pinion holder, etc) -- just a smooth attaching of the handle sideplate should occur.  Generally it requires that the freespool button be in the freespool position -- and some gentle twisting of the plate until you feel it go in place -- should allow a good seating.

If this doesn't work -- let us know, and we will try to help further.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Keta

Make sure the two centrifugal casting brakes are pushed toward the spool shaft.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

CATCH-ALL

foakes & keta - I think that's what the problem was - I screwed up and damaged the centrifugal brake thingies.

I finally gave up and took it to a local tackle dealer/ repair shop that supports a local online fishing club that I'm a member of. When he asked what the problem was I replied "it worked fine....... until I took it apart" then we both began laughing real hard.

I'm looking forward to getting my reel back. I caught my first Sailfish on that reel - from a dead boat - by myself. I billed it, unhooked it, slung it onboard (no comments please, I had an HMS Permit) and later turned it into Smoked Fish Dip. num num num.......

Catch
Founder & President, 100 Fathom Fishing Club
100FFC.com

handi2

Also make sure the white plastic pinion gear holder is right. I had a brain fart today and put one in backwards, Twice..!!
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Fishit 2

You can bend the brand ring back into shape - no need to take these reels in to a shop since they are very easy to reassemble, save your money next time and view a schematic online.
President of the Down Beach High Class Hookers fishing Club.