need help with 712z

Started by bestout, May 03, 2015, 02:37:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bestout

my 712z 62A-716  screw has so much play its coming in and out. is there a way i can fix this?
The monsters in my head are scared......

johndtuttle

If the receptacle is stripped then you can try a strip or two of copper to try and tighten it up...or retap it and replace the screw with one larger.

foakes

Like John sez --

Copper will work if the aluminum body hole is enlarged or stripped.

If you are lucky, and it is just the screw stripped -- then you can replace the screw, if the body threads are not jacked up -- but aluminum will strip before that screw -- so it is likely the body screw hole stripped and enlarged.

If you can make a pocket with the copper -- then get a tight fit, then just trim off the copper excess -- your fine.

Since that is a dog screw -- it requires a special screw with a smooth shoulder arbor for the dog to operate smoothly -- and one drop of oil.  So likely just going to a larger screw would entail modifying the dog, etc.  Try the copper -- it will work just fine.  If you don't have thin copper laying around -- just use a Penn copper flat dog spring.

Good luck,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

bestout

Thanks for the reply. i have added 5min epoxy on the screw hole and untill now seems fine. If it doesnt end up working how does that strip of copper works. am lost there.

johndtuttle

Quote from: bestout on May 04, 2015, 07:05:25 PM
Thanks for the reply. i have added 5min epoxy on the screw hole and untill now seems fine. If it doesnt end up working how does that strip of copper works. am lost there.

What you do is insert the strip so that one end is in the bottom of the hole the other sticking out. Start the screw and the softness of the copper allows it to mold into the threads and shim it a little. Once the screw is well started you can trim off the excess as best you can then tighten it down.

bestout

where can i find strips of copper :D

Doug

I am by no means an expert but the  stud that the ar dog mounts to appears to be a different material than the soft aluminum housing. In other words that stud is a staked in or screwed in after the housing is molded. I can't tell if its ss steel but it is stronger than the soft aluminum of the housing. I would suspect the screw may be NG first. If not then some how the stud threads are stripped and a copper strip will work All the 700 and the 430ss and 420ss appear to have been built the same way , If you look at the handle side of the reel housing you can see a small round detent just above the ar shut off lever that's the bottom of the ar mounting stud again I don't know what material it is but it would make sense its something stronger than cast aluminum considering the stress that is applied to it

Marcq

I have used J-B Weld in the past and still use it for stuff like that. Good stuff

Marc..

Doug

a copper strip is used as a dog spring in some reels like the surfmaster  reels 200 150 or 100 use the same copper strip

bestout

Quote from: Doug on May 04, 2015, 09:18:05 PM
a copper strip is used as a dog spring in some reels like the surfmaster  reels 200 150 or 100 use the same copper strip
OOHH now i get what the copper strip is. thats not a bad idea. for now the epoxy its holding i just spooled the reel completely.