P533 4.6F One of kind

Started by Newell Nut, May 03, 2015, 06:53:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newell Nut

This is currently the only one in existence and just completed. Started with a NIB P533 4.6 and installed a black narrow Tiburon frame and spool. All mating surfaces are lubricated to prevent electrolysis from salt. All screws were lubricated upon assembly. The harness lugs were replaced with SS plugs to fill the gaps, the newly manufactured close tolerance heat treated SS gear sleeve from Tom was installed, the newly cut SS star from Adam was installed, .031 Delrin is under the gear, Bryan's 5 stack drag is installed as well. The bellevilles from Mcmaster or from Scott's have an edge on them. I like to cut that edge down with a stone to prevent it from possible cutting into the .020 delrin on top of the stack (see pics). Shaving the edge off of the Belleville also benefits fit up in the side plate but still snug enough that you never go to no drag. Take the delrin out and this problem goes away but by being like this you never get water into the drag system.

On the outside I used 4 of the wavy washers from Mc Master against the drag spacer and then the 3-18 and then another wavy washer. This softens the loading of the drag slightly. The handle is a modified Shimano handle has become my favorite on my 500s with the offset putting the knob closer to the body and the textured knob is just perfect for really fast cranking. Other handles may look cooler but for me it is all about function first of all and cosmetics take a backseat.
The close tolerances of the drive system on the reel are extremely smooth and strong. Abec 5 bearings soaked in TSI 321 were chosen and the spool spins over a minute easily. Hard fishing gets all kinds of contaminants between the body and SS rings so I like to put a thin coat of Penn blue under the rings and when something is already there then the fish juice and bait juice can't get in. With disciplined washing after each use this should be a lifetime reel.

The new owner of this reel should be happy with the total weight of 25 1/4 oz sitting upon the custom rod that is in the early stages of planning.
This combo is also going to be paired with a P338J with a matching black Tiburon frame and the same handle with the shorter hole position. This is my recommendation for exact ergonomics for less fumbling with a different feel. This reel will also have a very unique rod to sit on when built.

BonitaBch

Great job on the build and nice looking reel ... the 4.6 should be really versatile.
Bonita Beach, FL

foakes

Beautiful planning and engineering, Dwight --

That is a tough, light, and versatile reel.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Marcq

Nice  8) He's going to be a happy customer

Marc..

Islandgypsy

Newell Nut

Thanks Guys
The Newell owners already know but the angle of the pic did not show the standard double dogs in the 500 series. The sound real nice with the new SS sleeve.

I told him if he wanted his check back it would not hurt my feelings any. He has not asked for the check back so he must like it.

Tightlines667

Now that is one solid looking reel.  At that weight, and it and balance it imparts, it will likely be a pleasure to fish with all day.  Nice work!

BTW, I came accross a set of new looking cobalt blue S546 side plates posted locally on CL yesterday.

https://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/spo/5006339978.html

Brian (Brian's Fishing Honolulu) has just recieved matching cobalt blue tib frames and spools this week,.  They are the same color as these...

https://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/spo/5005617839.html

I am trying to forget about all 3.

You are not helping.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

STRIPER LOU

First class job Dwight!!!! Looks great with the Tib frame. Your right on that arm too, its the perfect offset.
...............Lou

Mac53

Quote from: Newell Nut on May 03, 2015, 08:19:41 PM
Thanks Guys
The Newell owners already know but the angle of the pic did not show the standard double dogs in the 500 series. TheY sound real nice with the new SS sleeve.
I told him if he wanted his check back it would not hurt my feelings any. He has not asked for the check back so he must like it.

Good afternoon, my name is Tim and I use Mac53 on this forum.  I am the soon to be owner of this Dry Tortugas Fish Killing machine!  There is a short story behind this project that I would like to share with you.  I have been researching reel options since last year. I looked at almost every option on the market and heard the Sales praises of how this reel did this and this reel did that but I never felt 100% confident in any of these reels.  I have been a member on this forum since 2013 but always as an informational reader rather than a contributor because frankly, I am not skilled at the things that most of you are.  But what I am skilled at is problem definition, informational searches and finding solutions.  I read many of the threads in most of the tutorials and decided that the Newell might be exactly what I was looking for.  During all this reading I got a good idea of the reel building knowledge base of many forum members and in the end choose Dwight to help me see this project thru.  He and I exchanged emails bouncing off my needs with his suggestions and we ended up with the above 533.  He is also putting together a 338 using the same approaches and products as the 533.  So in the end I was able to use the information in this great forum and many of your comments to help come up with exactly what I needed.  Thanks to all and especially to Dwight and no I don't want my check back!  Mac

BonitaBch

Tim, enjoy your Newells and catch 'em up  ;D
Bonita Beach, FL

vilters

great build! that reel is all business, no bling, just solid. I have a similar reel, but 5.5, just don't have the sleeve upgrade or torium handle, which IS a great choice, which I may go to, as I had another 533 with that and liked it a lot. I did get a couple stainless stars from Adam, but have not installed it yet.

Mac53

Vilters,

What else is going on in your pic?  Penn, Newell etc?  They all look sweet to my eye.

Mac

Newell Nut

Tim
Those are all Newells.

Now for the rest of your project. The Shimano handle arrived today for the P338 and just got it installed. The rest of the reel was done last week.
We started with a P 338J which also had a top crossbar to remove. It had an original 4 stack drag but Tim wanted a SS sleeve and it would not fit over the old cone on the bridge plate. I had a New P332 and removed the new system and installed it in the 338 and then installed the new SS Sleeve from Ulua Junkies, I also installed Bryan's 5 stack drag system, .031 delrin under the gear and .020 on top of the stack and under the Belleville washer that I dressed the same as on the 533 at the beginning of this thread. On the outside I used the small wavy washers between the 2.5" SS star from Adam and the 3-18 and on this one it will go to zero drag. The 3-16 is a thicker one from Keta to prevent bending when the handle nut is tightened. On this handle I modified the short opening which balances better on the 300 series and will enable faster cranking. Just holding the spool and testing the drag it is just as smooth as my personal 338 and ramps nicely. With all of the new parts and the offset handle it really feels nice and solid. Total weight of this one is 22oz. I would like to point out that when attaching the SS rings to the Tiburon frame I did you all 8 fillister head screws by design by doing this the two body screws carry a certain load and the threaded insert at the top of the ring gives the reel another solid support which locks the side plate to a SS ring that is locked to the frame.
The bearings in this reel are also the Abec 5SS and soaked in TSI321. All screws and mating surfaces are lubricated in the build.

johndtuttle

O yea, those will catch  ;).

Tightlines667

Looking good Dwight.  I love that those reels have parts from all aroundbthe country, even Hawaii.  BTW have you seen the new SS clickers and new style stars from UluaJunkies as well?

Nice work!
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.