Just When You Thought It couldn't Get Worse

Started by Rivverrat, May 04, 2015, 04:05:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fsrmn

I agree with bestout. He had his drag too tight. We fish tarpon in yaks here often and the only time I went over was alcohol related. ::) ;D
Not all fishing is done with rod and reel.

Rivverrat

As long as you keep the fish in front of your Yak you can run with about as high a drag as you desire. This takes some skill with some boats of this type & some Yaks are better suited for it while both hands are occupied with a sizable fish.

JoePlo

I fish the GoM all the time on the yak. The key is to have the proper yak and know your limits. Almost been hit by a boat also. Not fun. Guy wasn't paying attention and came within a few feet. Risks in everything you do.

A lot of those guys fishing out of Hawaii use narrow yaks that are quicker or better at cutting through surf but they sacrifice stability. That was that guys problem. In my opinion go Hobie Outback or ProAngler or don't do it at all.

I have flipped 1 time in 5 years. Tried to cut through waist high surf at close interval with heavy side current. Bad day for sure. Those Lowrance units take a beating. Mine has been dunked and still works fine. I like to seal the units cracks and unused ports with a hot glue gun.

This was fighting 6ft+ shark

Snapper

Cobia

King

theluckpusher

he needs to google tether ropes --- other than that a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day of working
"To Hell with Luck, I'll bring the Luck with Me." ---Hemingway

coastal_dan

YAKLIFE!!!  Ha, love these videos.  We all learn from our mistakes, this guy is just learning a harder lesson  :o.  When I'm in my Outback everything is tethered, I made them with old phone cords, zip ties, heat shrink and carabiner's; cheap insurance.  Gotta love it though, what a rush fishing from a plastic tub that weighs 80 lbs...plus no trailers/registration/insurance req'd...just car top and go!
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

newfuturevintage

I do the yak fishing thing too, and tethers scare the hell out of me. I'm too leery of them getting tangled.  I might be fine with something coiled that's easy to tear/cut/ditch, but for now, I only use a paddle leash (tethered to the boat) and put pool-noodle floats on everything else.

I also only take the stuff I wouldn't mind losing with me  :).

That video is epic...It's good to see one where the kayaker has obviously practiced self-rescue, and is wearing both his PFD and VHF!

David Hall

Friend of mine told me of one of his yak trips off San Diego last year when he hooked into a large shark and went on a Nantucket sleigh ride straight out a mile and a half before he decided to cut it loose.  He Thought it was great fun.
I prefer being 3' above the water line, safe and dry on my little 28' sport fisher.

Badkarma

Ok, so on top of finding out about a cool site with some great info about reels and stuff i figured i would post an update as i am the guy in the video and man i love getting feedback and hearing what people think of the vid. I will run through it all really quick,

1- This monster was the first "big" fish i had ever caught from a kayak and only shore fishing back in St. Louis for catfish had i dealt with fish that size so far to new to the ways of getting a beast like that in.
2- The video was started about 5 minutes into the fight after the thing had almost spooled me and i finally was like ok lets lock it down....famous last words. That fish got off to my side and i just wasn't prepared for the run he made.
3- My kayak didn't have a rudder so steering wasn't really an option while fighting the fish. (i now know how much of an advantage having that ability is)
4- Leashes.... I have everything leashed down now but i agree that if i go over i am fully prepared to lose things because i only leash if the water is crappy but i will show why in a second :)
5- The Malibu Kayaks Stealth 12 i was in is now retired mainly as a result of a culmination of things learned both on this trip and other trips. I had practiced self recovery numerous times and this was the first time doing it "real life" but it went fine minus the fact that my kayak was swamped so bad after i recovered and the one thing that HAS to be leased that wasn't in this video...my bilge pump. it floated away and if you look at how close the edge of the yak is to the water you can tell that it is full. I was still able to paddle and i was a mile from shore so it was going to make for a long paddle in but i did get help fairly soon after the fish as landed. Main thing learned was that the kayak was not what i consider "Sea worthy" great for lakes and ponds but waves coming over the side at all or over the bow and those stupid hatches with a crappy design leak.

In the end i learned a ton in the 15 minutes or so that took place and now am far better because of it. I am glad I had on my PFD and never fish without one (now have an inflatable but wear it 100% of the time) and know my abilities and equipment better. The best part is that now if something rolls me it better be a whale or just me not paying attention at all. I made stupid choices but luckily they all worked out.

The wife watched the video and gave the green light on my new ride and i fully agree with JoePlo about the Pro Angler! Now i just need to get a fishing shirt made with those final 3 words! :) 

Go Easy.

Shark Hunter

I only use my Kayak for one thing. That's running baits out. I have to, that is the only way to get my bait to where the Sharks are. I run out, drop it, and run right back. I haven't tipped over out there yet, but I know its coming. I did a 400 yard drop in Navarre last week, Not once, but twice. I will be totally honest, That will sober you up pretty quick.
That far out, the waves were tossing me around and I had a bloody fish in the back that was laying out a scent trail through the scupper holes. Its deep there and I know whats under me. I chose the fastest Kayak I could get, that's an Ocean Kayak Trident 13. Its quick and handles the waves.
Thanks for sharing your Video BK. You did good.

This Video is what sold me on it.

Life is Good!

newfuturevintage

Rivverrat

Hey man its Jeff, glad you made,your way here. It's really a great sight!

BonitaBch

Welcome and thanks for sharing.  I think that 'Go Easy' sounds better than BadKarma ....  ;)
Bonita Beach, FL

Reel 224

Welcome BK and again I give you an A+ for guts and willingness to admit your mistakes. It takes a real man to admit when he goofs up. You will enjoy this site for lots of great information. Good fishing!
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."