349 - 2 +1 dogs on the bridge

Started by mhc, May 08, 2015, 03:37:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mhc

I was impressed with how easy it is to install the Pro Challenger double dog jigmaster bridge with both dogs on the bridge and thought I would try something similar with a 3-349 bridge.
This is my first attempt with brass dogs - designed for alternating dogs, but it would be easy to adjust the dog lengths and/or post location to make it simultaneous engagement. The second dog was shaped from a stock 15-349 dog that I had ruined in a previous project, the second spring is a reshaped 14-349 spring (that needs a 1/4 or so trimmed off the end) and the posts were made from brass screws. using a drill and file to 'turn' them to size. I haven't cleaned the bridge to make it easier to see the contact areas between the side plate and bridge. The next step is to get some more of Keta's stainless dogs and try and do it neatly  ;D

It's a bit hard to see the black plate clearly, but the 2nd spring clears the plate and spool when extended.

It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

sundancer

Nice work.

There are a couple of threads on double-dogging 349's.

What are the reasons for going doing this? 

Thanks
Steve
Miles to go.....,

mhc

With alternating dogs it reduces the amount of backplay or travel in the handle. If you have simultaneous engagement it increases the strength by supporting the gear on both sides to reduce lateral force or tilting effect on the post. It also gives a back-up dog if one gets stuck or hung up for whatever reason. 

Rothmar2

mhc

The next step was to try three dogs on the bridge, two full time simultaneous and a third (original 15-349 design) alternating dog that can be disengaged when using higher drag settings (reels with the second eccentric lever only) The photo shows one of Keta's original 15-359 SS dogs with the tail and a SS 113H gear sleeve from Alan T. It needs a bit of fine tuning, I miss-judged the third post location, it should be approx 1/16 closed to the gear sleeve to clear the side plate, I think I will also grind a bit off the underside of the main dog to fit a better shaped spring on the third dog.

sundancer

I ask because these pictures are the first time I saw the bridge from the working side.  Seeing that the original dog is stepped and catches the bridge twice the only thing the added dog can offer is added stability.

What kinda of drag numbers are these Reels capable of handling if double/tripling of the dogs are a consideration? 

Or is this just a cool thing to do because there is room?

Thanks
Steve
Miles to go.....,

Rothmar2

Great work Mike, like this idea a lot.

Keta

Quote from: sundancer on May 10, 2015, 12:18:30 PMSeeing that the original dog is stepped and catches the bridge twice the only thing the added dog can offer is added stability.

Actually the "step" makes the back spin on the handle worse and it does not fully engage the ratchet on the gearsleeve.   I have eliminated it on some later version of my 15-349 dogs.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Alto Mare

Lots of talent here....  very nice.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

gstours

Hey why did you make the spring extend past the bridge plate?  must have a good reason? or temporary?  I like your post!  thanks to all.  gst.

mhc

Quote from: sundancer on May 10, 2015, 12:18:30 PM
I ask because these pictures are the first time I saw the bridge from the working side.  Seeing that the original dog is stepped and catches the bridge twice the only thing the added dog can offer is added stability.

What kinda of drag numbers are these Reels capable of handling if double/tripling of the dogs are a consideration?  

Or is this just a cool thing to do because there is room?

Thanks
Steve
I like a second dog for the reduced handle back-play that an alternating 2nd dog gives, however Sal and others correctly point out that simultaneous dogs is a stronger option. There are many discussions on double dogging on this site and I don't think I can add to what's been said. I know double dogs have been done to death but thought the second eccentric lever on (some) mariner reels offers a unique opportunity to have both options available at the push of a lever - Versa Dogs. And as you said there is a lot of room under the gear to play with.
As for drag numbers, I haven't tested any reels yet but have no reason to doubt George4741's results of around 18 lbs for the 349H and 29 lbs with the lower geared 349 using a 5 stack. I am going to work on fitting a 7 stack in like Keta uses and Three sevens has made a gear insert for the 349H. I hope to get around 25 lbs from either of these options although I can't see myself holding that for long.

Quote from: Rothmar2 on May 10, 2015, 01:08:44 PM
Great work Mike, like this idea a lot.

Glad you like it Chris, I used your bridge  ;D

Thanks Sal, but lets wait to see how the posts stand up to a bit of pressure. I'm thinking I should test the dogs and posts one at a time to around 20 lb static load before trying the simultaneous combination to higher loads - any thoughts?

Gary you are right with the spring - it is temporary to gauge how it will fit and needs more work before I trim it to size, Thanks

mhc

Take 3: A drop in 3 dog bridge without need to modify the side plate. Again, I haven't cleaned the bridge to make it easy to see where the side plate touches.

2 + 1 set up - 2 simultaneous dogs and 1 optional alternating dog;

or, 3 alternating dogs;

fIsHsTiiCkS

Fantastic work! YOU have a lot of talent, I am thinking about tackling the idea of adding dogs to a bridge. I want a double dog for my 506.

Rothmar2

You got me in Mike, will be doing this after I finish the Jigmaster and Daiwa projects.
Great work!