Work Tools

Started by AlasKen, May 11, 2015, 10:05:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlasKen

I am putting together my list of tools needed for reel maintenance.  I have reviewed a number of helpful post on tools of the trade but have a couple of questions.

1. Where and what type of screw driver bits for the battery driver or handles?  I have several different smaller  handhelds.  I understand hollow ground drivers are best but unsure where to get them. 

2.  What do you have for a carry on tools for a boat or trip?  You probably aren't doing full breakdown but are there quick fixes

I will be working on my own stuff, some Penn reels 113, 114 for halibut, Shimano Charter specials, and one Okuma Lever drag reel, forgot he model right now.

All thought to help a newbie is appreciated.  I am fishing cold north water in Alaska, primarily Halibut, salmon, and Lings with a few rock fish thrown in

SoCalAngler

Just purchase a multi bit set something like this. The set has all the bits I have ever needed and then some.

I also keep a cheap set in my tackle box for quick fixes which holds 6 bits. It being cheap I have no problem if it rusts or gets dropped overboard. I carry a couple of specialized bits on this driver, one you can't see in the pic which is a very wide blade for my Avet JX and a spanner bit which I use on some of my reels that go on deckhand style rods (no reels seats).

Bill B

I would add the following for a trip:
-Wrench to remove the handle nuts on the Penns
-Spare dog springs
-a couple screws for the various reels
-grease or oil
-I always pack a roll of black electrical tape and some 11" cable ties (instead of duct tape and baling wire  ;D)
-Harbor Freight is a good source for tools, and Brownell's Gunsmithing has a great selection of driver bits

As you gain experience so will your tool kit.....good luck brother......Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

fsrmn

Sal sent me a curved dental pick on our last trade. I don't see how I've got along without one for so long. I use it in some way for just about every reel repair.
Not all fishing is done with rod and reel.

AlasKen

Hooked and started.  Trying to start easy without going overboard.  I am trying to start with Alan's recommendation of sticking to $20 per reel and then fishing them.
I have picked up a 3 oz grease gun with Alan's cut off needle ($20) at O'reillys.  It has an option for bulk load without using cardboard tubes.  I will keep Yamaha lube in a regular gun and load through a zerk when needed.
1 set of bits ($0) as I already had the set from my last birthday
1 power screwdriver ($0) as I already had one from Christmas
1 Set bearing packers Metric and standard from Alan ($60) just because they are cool and I will use them
1 tube Yamaha Marine grease ($8) from local marine dealer
I ordered a bunch of CF drag washers and lube from PennParts ($50)
I ordered some drag washers from Smooth Drag ($20)

This gives me the drag washers for 8 reels so I am well within my range for initial outlay.
Penn 113H (red)
Penn 330 GT
(4) Penn 209 level wind
(2) Shimano Charter Special TR1000

I will pick up some odds and ends from Sears for punches, allen wrenches etc to fill my gaps. 

Thanks for the suggestions from all

foakes

Hi Ken --

I'm sure you already have a good pair of tweezers, needle nose pliers, and a supply of Cal's drag grease.

If you do not have the drag grease -- you can add it to the order from Dawn at Smooth Drag -- or get some directly from Cal Sheets.

Sounds like your well prepared.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

AlasKen

I had some Cal's grease both the purple and tan added to my order from PennParts.  I just got an ounce of each until I determine what works best for Alaska where it is known to get cold at times.  My kids know I am a tool junky so I usually get something new along those lines.  I got a set of needle nose pliers a while back that run the gamut and are bent at different angles from a 90 to about 22*.  I think these may find a new home in my reel tools.  I will work on designing a work area that I can shut and keep the tools secure for moving it from place to place or making space for something else. 

I built my boat about 7 years ago and actually gained some working and epoxy skills that assist with other projects.  This seems a good way to focus those creative needs without causing great concern with my wife.  As long as I don't tell her what those little parts actually cost.