Penn GS 555 Drag & Anti Reverse Questions

Started by Andrew886, May 14, 2015, 01:48:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew886

Hey guys,
I picked up a number of used reels over the winter, one of which was this Penn GS 555.  I plan to use it as a kite reel or find another low usage purpose for it once I get it back in order.  The drag was cranked down tight when I picked it up and seems to pull drag off fairly easily.  So I plan to replace the drag washers.  I'm new to reel maintenance so not sure if I should go Carbontex washers or just go with standard fiber washers sold by Penn?  Its the old style gear housing btw if that makes any difference.

Second question is the anti reverse feature of the reel seems to be shot.  I tried a quick greasing of internal parts before finding this site and it seemed to improve, but I'd say for every stop of the reel it slides back an 1/8 rotation.  What do I need to replace here or should I be doing to correct this issue? 

Sorry for the Naive questions, but brand new to this and would like to learn how to handle my own maintenance as I have tons of fishing reels.

Thanks in advance!

Andrew

MarkT

Penn and Carbontex are both woven carbon fiber so either is fine. A little back play is normal since the 535/545/555 don't have an anti-reverse bearing. Both my 545 & 535 have that backlpay. The smaller 525's do have an ARB and don't have that backlpay in the handle.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Andrew886

Thank you Mark!  Guess I'll just have to live with the back play.

So help me understand, the advantage of carbon fiber drag washers is that their more durable (less susceptible to compression), handle heat better, and put out more lbs of drag?

foakes

Right, Andrew --

Remember to grease the CFs or HT-100s from Penn with Cal's drag grease.

Just work the grease into the disc -- if you get a little too much on the fiber discs -- no worries -- the star drag will force it out until just the right amount is left.  A little extra is better than not enough.

There is less heat buildup since the grease eliminates the dry friction -- and your drags will actually last nearly forever, and perform well with stronger drag numbers.

And of course, your reel will be much smoother -- not jerky as drags become glazed or sticky.

For a really smooth reel -- replace the under gear washer, if not already equipped -- with a Delrin, or a slightly smaller greased CF.

And if you have room -- also a Delrin washer on top of the drag stack -- smooth as butter.

When not in use -- back your drag star all of the way out, so your stack spring will not flatten.

These are very inexpensive improvements -- and will improve your reel close to 100%, in my opinion.

Welcome, BTW!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Andrew886

Thanks!

I appreciate all the insight.  Just learning.  By Delrin do you mean just the teflon type of washers you can buy at home depot, or is there a place you specifically go to buy Delrin washers?  I'm sure I can find them on the internet just thought I'd ask.

MarkT

Given you planned usage I wouldn't overthink it.  Just replace the drag washers and call it good.  You could replace the fiber washer under the main gear if you wanted to get a little more drag but that's not required.  On mine, I had also replaced the belleville with a thicker one to get more drag and swapped the gears out for 4.25:1.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

foakes

On the Delrin Washers -- if you decide to go that way -- contact Dawn at Smooth Drag -- on our site.

You will have them quickly.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.