removing the shield and bearings from squidder

Started by bestout, May 14, 2015, 03:38:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bestout

anyone know any trick or tips on how i can remove those shields they are soooo dam hard. i dont want to hurt the bearing cup :/
The monsters in my head are scared......

garking84

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=13.0

here you go there's a lot of good information on this thread.  Both bearings have a shield before you could get to therm.  I pry  them out with a small flat head screw driver, I bend the tip of the screw driver this makes it easy for removing shields. It also works for removing bearings just get them from the bottom and pull.  Once you have them out you'll need a sharp object to remove the shields.  If they have a c clip just remove the clip and shields come out very easily,  if your bearings don't have a c clip you will need to make a small hole on the shield and pry it out.

Hope this helps

garking84

I forgot something, leave the bearing cup on the side plate.  IV noticed it makes it much easier this way.  You get more leverage
;)

bestout

Quote from: garking84 on May 14, 2015, 04:16:22 AM
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=13.0

here you go there's a lot of good information on this thread.  Both bearings have a shield before you could get to therm.  I pry  them out with a small flat head screw driver, I bend the tip of the screw driver this makes it easy for removing shields. It also works for removing bearings just get them from the bottom and pull.  Once you have them out you'll need a sharp object to remove the shields.  If they have a c clip just remove the clip and shields come out very easily,  if your bearings don't have a c clip you will need to make a small hole on the shield and pry it out.

Hope this helps
Sorry i was talking about the washer that covers the bearing. i have tried the penn wrench trick but still pretty much hard
The monsters in my head are scared......

garking84

I couldn't find the screwdriver.  But u could use almost anything to remove those washers both of these in the picture work.  The piece of hanger works great for small to reach areas like the handle side bearing on squidder.  The other one works great fir removing the washer on bearing cups.  Like I said keep the bearing cup on the side plate.  This will help a lot.

otghoyt

Our mentor Mr. AT makes a lever out a paint can opener.  Gratis from Home Depot.  It is the only thing that works for me consistently.  I have made them out of every conceivable customized tool you can imagine and it flat works for me.  I think he shows it on the Squidder tear down right here somewhere.  Narrow it down slowly and cool it with oil.  If you get too much heat on the end of it...it wrecks the tempering and it'll straighten out on you.