Penn No.49 Deep Sea Reel

Started by Earl, December 18, 2010, 01:14:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Earl

Hi. I'm new to this forum and this is my first post. A guy I work with gave me this reel a few months ago. It seems in good shape and I'd like to take it apart and check it out. It's an older model with a green handle and no numbers other than No.49 on the side plate. It's never seen salt water so it's probably in good shape inside. Does anyone know where I can get a schematic, or is there another model that is similar I could refer to. Thanks for any help.
Earl

Norcal Pescador

No problem, Earl.

Here is a website with a schematic  https://www.mysticparts.com/Assets/images/pennparts/schematics/49l.pdf
and some specs  https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/ReelSpecs/PennMariner.aspx#specs
on your reel. The L in the 49L means it has an aluminum spool. If yours has a chrome-plated brass spool, it would be the M model which Penn didn't often label that way.
MysticParts.com is a good place to get parts for Penn reels and you can always call or email them for information.  You can also get a whole bunch of good information from the guys [and gals] here, too.

Welcome!
Rob

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

akfish

I still see lots of 49s in SE Alaska where they are used for both salmon and halibut. Many of the older ones have warped spools. Hopefully yours is OK; if it is, be sure to put several wraps of Dacron on the spool before installing mono so the mono stretch does not damage the spool. Also, recognize that, even with new HT-100s (and you really need to install them!), it's a 30# reel despite its size. The old brass gear sleeve will deform with any more than about 8# drag. A steel gear sleeve (available from Alan) will help but we're still not talking about an 80# class reel.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Earl

Thanks for the prompt info, guys. Just waiting for some ordered lube/grease etc. and will then have a go at my first rebuild.
Earl

Bryan Young

Should be no problem, but if you run into any problems, we are here to help.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

a stainless steel gear sleeve and a jigmaster power handle can really help right here.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!