Drag Fathom 25n

Started by Rivverrat, May 20, 2015, 07:29:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Yes, Jeff --

That also looks like the color I have -- could just be differences in camera or light.

Why is it in a clear container?  Has it been bought in bulk and repackaged by some shop?

I buy mine directly from Cal Sheets.

Cal and his son recommend using the tan for regular applications -- and the purple/maroon for very cold conditions -- since it is a little thinner.  But the purple will work fine anywhere.

They also recommend using their greases for every part of the reel --

I can't do that, since even at a dealer discount -- their grease is 3 or 4 times the price of Yamaha Marine Blue.  And I would not want to pass the price on to my clients -- so I just use Cal's for the drags.

If I was just doing a few reels a year, I might use Cal's on everything -- but then again, I'm not one to be wasteful -- so likely wouldn't.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Rivverrat

Thanks Lee it's muddy purple. I just  verified from seller it's Cal's. Not the tan grease I wanted. I'll just order a pond of the tan from Scotts next week....

Rivverrat

Yup Fred It's been repackaged. Which is fine the fella sells it at a fair price. Got it to me quick to. Dads Ole Tackle, Conroe Texas is the place

Rivverrat

I cleaned the drag washers on  2 of my Fathoms & wiped on some Cal's I placed both of them on an Ugly Stick & a new St. Croix rod. I have to say I'm pretty unhappy with these reels at the moment. Nothing changed much. The drags on both reels are still grabbing bobbing the tip of the rod up & down. Prior I had hoped this would diminish with use. 

Unless some one has suggestions these reels as they are in their present state will not work for me. Wish I had some how known or found this out earlier. Thinking about it some, there has to be others that that load these reels 60 lb. line & set their drags proper also checking that they are smooth.   

Rivverrat

I GOT IT! At least I think I did. Partly a thought & partially out of frustration.....OK do in large part to frustration :-[    I tightened the drags down past medieval, stupid tight & repeatedly ran 30 or so yards off all 3 reels at that drag setting. Much improvement after this. They are still not perfect, not glass smooth like my Andros but the drags now work at an acceptable, fishable level for me.

Glad its dark out & I don't have neighbors near by.