That darn dog spring

Started by AlasKen, May 24, 2015, 06:01:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlasKen

I tore down my first reel today.  It was a 113 HW. The star drag was basically frozen.  Took it apart based on what I had read.  I took care with the dog spring.  Set it in my tray with a clean rag to set my parts on as I took them off.  My drag washers were stuck together and slightly corroded to the side of the main gear.  Got it apart and polished the metals and tossed the CF washers.  They were burned slick.  Cal's creased the news ones up and started back together.  Everything went well until I reached for the dog spring.  It was gone.  It must have hitched a ride on something on the tray.  I went ahead and completed the build without the spring and will be ordering 1 or 4 on Tuesday.  I have 7 Penn's so doubt this will be the last.  The good news is the 5 washer starch seems to be working.  Thanks for the tutorials.  Made quick work of it.  Ken

Keta

The spring is with the missing socks.   

I try to keep several of each in stock.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

foakes

Hi Ken --

These Dogs are not very loyal, and you did everything right.

If shipping is a hassle, or expensive -- I can just send a couple regular mail at N/C -- just to get you by until you place a larger order that makes more sense, shipping wise.

Many times I find them on the side of my grease tub -- or they miraculously appear after I put my reading glasses back on.

Since you have that many reels that you service -- eventually, you should have a dozen on hand.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

AlasKen

Thanks for offer.  PM sent. 
Quote from: foakes on May 24, 2015, 02:22:13 PM
Hi Ken --

These Dogs are not very loyal, and you did everything right.

If shipping is a hassle, or expensive -- I can just send a couple regular mail at N/C -- just to get you by until you place a larger order that makes more sense, shipping wise.

Many times I find them on the side of my grease tub -- or they miraculously appear after I put my reading glasses back on.

Since you have that many reels that you service -- eventually, you should have a dozen on hand.

Best,

Fred

foakes

Hi Ken --

(2) new 14-99 dog springs addressed and ready to mail off tomorrow, since today is Memorial Day.

Appreciate the offer to return these -- but not necessary -- have more than plenty.

Just show us some more good pics of your work, and your fishing trips.

Nice country up in Alaska.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Dominick

I stick the spring on a magnet.  As long as I don't "sproing" it across the room it is always available when I need it.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

handi2

I keep at least 10 extra of those springs..!! They are magnetic so always check your screwdrivers and tools to see if it's stuck to one. I lose them all the time.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

AlasKen

Thanks for the hints on magnetism.  I will order a bunch next order.  Ken