Penn 80 V SW. Looking to upgrade.

Started by honolii, May 24, 2015, 07:28:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

honolii

thinking of upgrading our 80 w single speed conversion to 2 speed.  Are the 80 VSW holding up? Can they take Hawaii offshore action?

We used one to catch a 500 pound marlin in the channel and my son liked it.  What are the issues?  What about repairs? 

Tightlines667

You might want to take a look at the following thread (if you havn't already done so).  

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=232.msg145712#msg145712

I think these are great reels with pretty good specs.  They have great gear sets, will always stay in gear, strong/smooth drags (somewhat steeper curve then the older reels), and for a larger reel they are well balanced, and dare I say attractive.  I would recommend a preservice on any new reels, as I do with all reels destined for true offshore use, service them regularily, and they will provide years of reliable, and enjoyable use.

I have however, come to find out that many of the guys who service them reguarily, and a few charter boats that fish them heavily, do not have high opinions of the reels.  I think this stems in large part from having to reguarily deal with reels that were not reguarily serviced, or were otherwise abused.  The 2 most common complaints are typically related to the cam, or need to shim worn parts frequently in order to maintain function.  If wear or slop is tollerated in one subassembly, it leads to quicker wear or failure of another.  

Overall, I actually like both of these reels, and dare I say.. the Tiagras as well.  As with all mechanical equiptment, just keep it maintained, and it will work as designed

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.