last minute stuff

Started by alantani, May 24, 2015, 07:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

ok, we are now up to 26.  tom has a check in the mail.  quarters will be a little tight, but it's a great group and it's gonna be a great time!

a couple of things - don't over pack.  it's pretty certain to be an inshore trip as we had discussed, and these fish are not that big.  i am so tempted to bring a couple of 50 pound blocks of frozen squid, but we will have live bait and a couple of cases of jigs.  go with 20, 25 and 30 pound rigs.  you can easily bump these up to 40 pound on the boat if the skipper says so.  bring one 60# rig for dropper loop.  for hooks, you want no.1 live bait hooks for anchovies, 2/0 live bait for sardines, and 4/0 live bait hooks for mackerel. 

you will have preassigned cabins.  generally, old guys go in the back where it's less bumpy but engine noise can be deafening (bring ear plugs).   young guys are forward where it's nice and quiet, but very bumpy when we're running in heavy seas.  your rod storage will be assigned according to the list at the beginning of this post.  starting aft and moving forward, odd numbers are to port, even numbers to starboard.  everyone will get 8 spots.  extra long jig sticks will need to go in the open unassigned spots close to the bow because of their length.  there is a rod rack just behind the bait well and all the loaner bait/jig sticks will be there.  i will put loaner dropper loop rigs in the number 1 spot on the port side.

ed and i will be staying at the vagabond on sunday night.  dinner will be at miguel's cochina at 7pm, drinks at 6pm, breakfast the next morning at 7am at denny's, we will likely board at 9am on monday morning.  that's it for now.  more to come!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

alantani

crud, just saw that kevin is still on the list.  that means we have 25

Tom McKinney

Can I helpout on that squid by making some here?  I can spare an hour to cut strips and freeze em and I'm local so it will stay frozen.

Can I add a frozen bucket of uni goop for when we are anchored up for the night at Cedros?  drop it in at dinner and come back with plastics after dessert?

alantani

naw, that's ok.  things are going to get pretty hectic as we get closer to the trip.  just trying to cut down on the things we need to do.  i like using whole squid, but keeping them cold would be a problem.  i know that commercial guys sell 50 pound blocks.  a big ice chest and some dry ice would work, but it's more trouble than we really should go through.  one thing that you could do, if possible, would be to check in with jim libby and mike pate about their arrival times.  they may need some shuttling from the airport to the vagabond.  most of us will barely be arriving during the middle of the day, so that would really be helpful. 

Tom McKinney

Happy to do that but Ill need screen names so I can PM them or emails.