Is it the ring, the side plate or something else?

Started by Tom McKinney, May 24, 2015, 11:09:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom McKinney

Needed to move some parts around on my bevy of jigmasters, to match up chrome parts and newell parts.  Now its reassembly time and one of the reels is giving me fits.

if I assemble it as normal, the spool will not spin.  I have tried multiple spools.  Something is out of alignment, but what is the cause?  If, rather than assembling the side plate with the pins in the correct slots,  I rotate the side plate counter clockwise one set it assembles and the spool spins great.  Of course now there isn't a hole for the thumb screw.  Anybody know from this if its the plate, or the ring or something else?

otghoyt

I have one that does something like this.  I spent a lot of time getting everything all aligned up with Newell spools bars and seat/clamp.  I had everything feeling good and then I had 3 spools lined up with P-line backing and top shots.  When I got it back the spool was draggin somewhere.  What a P.O.  

All I did was loosen the LS bushing, then crank and feel.  Then I cinched it down till it was dragging pretty good.  I cranked it half dozen times and backed off the bushing then it cranked and spun free.  Maybe the threads are trash on the tail plate and it binds the spool.  I have no Idea!

I used new bushings on both sides and furthermore I polished them into the spool shafts with auto paint scratch remover.  Not much abrasive in there.  It still shows up now and then.  Buggs me bad!  :'(  I have never had anything come and go like that for what seems like no reason what so ever.

Any body.............

Tom McKinney

Tried 3 fifferent reel side plates.   None worked.  Changed the reel side ring.  Now all is well. 

otghoyt

You know....sometimes that sideplate hangs up on the quick release grooves.  I'll do some cleaning and checking.

1 week later...........

There was some bind on groove ring.  Cleaned and greased and it hasn't done it in 50 attempts to make it do it.  That's not to say it won't happen when I need it most!  :-[