spooling a 114h with modern braid and dacron for deep rockfish

Started by Tom McKinney, May 25, 2015, 06:17:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom McKinney

Trying to figure this out.  I want a reel for fishing 600 to1000 ft deep in mex waters.  Would love to have 400 yards of 65 lb braid.  BUT f i used a reel that held this much alone it would take forever to reel in.  So, for maximum line per crank a mostly full spool from a 114h reel sounds like a good idea.  So i need to put a bunch of dacron on first
Anybody done this and have comments? Any estimates of how much 80lb dacron?  I can always fill a spool with the spectra first and then the  dacron and then reel that onto my reel but it takes time.  I wish someone made a thick arborred 114h spool for braid.

Shark Hunter

The only way to fit 1000 yards of anything on a 114H, you are going to have to use braid. My 12/0's can hold 1000 yards of 100 lb mono, and that's the way I like to do it without using braid. Just because fishing from shore, I don't like to risk the chance of being cut off with the braid. I use 130lb on the 14/0's, but these are big heavy reels. I would go with JB hollow core. Go with 600 yards of 60lb, then splice it to mono. That's the only way to get the capacity and JB is good stuff. It will lay flat on the spool.
Life is Good!

Robert Janssen

To me, this is a math question.

Try downloading this line capacity calculator (very small, takes like two seconds)  http://www.norre.dk/linecapacity.html

Very simple. I've been using it for years. I like it, because it calculates lines and their equivalent capacities based on diameter, as opposed to pound class*. By using this and doing a little thinking, add / subtract, you can figure out quite closely where you ought to be.

There are other line capacity charts and programs, but this one shows more at a glance if you put some thought into it.

Or like you said, just spool the reel directly and reverse the line. Then you'll know for sure, since with a such thin line as 65 lb braid on a large spool, the margin of error becomes quite large.

*Dacron line and mono line capacities are often quite similar, since the Dacron lies flat, even if it is thicker. So for mathematical purposes it can be considered ≈ 80 lb mono diameter.

Here, by the way, is a giant list of line diameters: http://www.mels-place.com/Contents/ABCs_and_Goodies/Line_Diameters/line_diameters.htm

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

crackerman

Stay away from dacron. Spectra is super tough and when topped with mono is a superb combo
Dacron is very fat compared to spectra. Almost as thick as its equivalent mono. It just lays flatter on the spool.

Either way reeling in 1000ft is gonna take a while.

Shark Hunter

Here is another one Tom that should put you real close to what your spool will actually hold.
http://www.3-tand.com/line_capacity_calculator.html
Life is Good!

Robert Janssen

Quote from: Shark Hunter
Here is another one...

Oh, excellent!! Even more concrete. Been wanting that for ages. Leave it to Rob K to actually make one. Good one, Shark Hunter!

Tom McKinney

Let me be clear, the dacron would be under the spectra. Its not there to fish just to fill up the spool. A full 114h spool of specrra would be a waste of money. You would never fish 70 percent of what u put on the real. I dont want to top the spectra with anything.  I want to top some kind of backing with the spectra

doradoben

I never fish anywhere near the depth that you stated because the regulations in So. Cal. won't allow it. As you know, due to cold water in winter and spring, we rockfish. The method that I use requires two similar reels. I've wound 300 yards of spectra onto a reel first and filled the remainder with monofilament line. You can use dacron if you wish. Then wind all of it onto the (other) reel that I'm going to actually use. When finished, the spectra is on top and the reel is full with no math necessary. I tie a ball bearing swivel to the end of the spectra and attach a short leader with hooks and a weight to the other end of the swivel.