New Avets

Started by Bp919, December 19, 2010, 05:37:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bp919

Alan et al... Have some new Avets coming for Christmas (MX and LX's). Any recommendations for initial setup for best drag performance, long life, etc. (I.e. Upgrades, lube instructions, etc. ) long winter in NE, don't mind working on reels so they're ready for spring.

alantani

it's pretty standard stuff.  start by greasing the drag washers with cal's grease.  then pop open all of the non-spool bearings and pack them with grease.  do likewise with the spool bearings if freespool is not an issue.  if you want good freespool, remove the shields, clean out the spool bearings and lube them with a light oil.  add a light coat of grease to all the non-exposed metal surfaces, including screw threads.  and finally, take a look at some handle grip options.  this will keep you busy for quite a while!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bp919

Alan ... thanks very much - quick question - what's your method for cleaning out (grease) for spool bearings? ... i've used WD-40, followed by a  coat of reel-x, would that work here ?.. i've got Cal's for the rest of it .... Also - ever seen any picture's of an LX or MX disassembly and reasembly .... just used your thread on rebuilding 330GTI's - very helpful.

kamuwela

try some carb clean and compressed air. i use wd-40 for cleaning parts, works like a charm. did you know it was made for the military as a solvent? if you are not worried about free spool then you should be fine.

alantani

i'll blow out the excess grease with compressed air.  if it looks pretty clean, i'll hit it with carb cleaner, then more compressed air and it's usually good.  if it's badly gummed up, i'll hit it with wd-40 and then use compressed air to make it spin.  once it's loosened up, it's back to the carb cleaner and compressed air.  be careful not to overspin a dry bearing.  it's a quick and easy way to damage it.  been there.

once the bearing is clean, i lube it with tsi 301. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!