Getting the Tarnish Off the Old Guys

Started by foakes, May 26, 2015, 07:03:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Have around 100 of the more modern Ocean City reels (40s, 50s, 60s).

Just in crates.

Found another probably 30 or 40 -- of these older guys -- Ocean City, Pflueger, 4 Bros, Shakespeare, Fortesque, and others.  These may be from the 20s & 30s, possibly.

All different materials from brass to German Silver to hard rubber and other types of metals.

Basically pre bakelite and chrome.

Thought I might make a few paperweights -- so wanted to see how these might clean up.

These may be a little time consuming this time of year -- so probably a project for later -- but I will try and do a few now.

This is an old Ocean City "Sea Girt" brass 250 yard narrow spool reel with a riveted frame and stand, leather spool brake, wood knob, not much else.

Cleaned the right side plate just to see how it might turn out -- appears the reel has never been apart in 85 or 90 years -- all of the screws are untouched -- and there was some old green cotton or Dacron very thick line, similar to a braided packaging twine on it.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

vilters

very nice! love that old stuff. gonna hafta get into my stash & knock off some dust too...

Reel 224

I have a  Pfluger Capitol NO 1988 that I did some minor cleaning and lubing on As a matter of fact that is what brought me here in the first place because I couldn't get the right side to come off and Bryan helped me out. There should be some pictures here some ware. I even bought a new crank arm and handle from Alan for it. That reel is quiet and smooth as heck. Great for bottom fishing for sure.
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Penn Chronology

QuoteHave around 100 of the more modern Ocean City reels (40s, 50s, 60s).

This could turn into a fantastic history study. As you post your restorations, I will try to post the catalog renderings of these reels when they were being sold. Ocean City are my other favorite reels.

The Sea Girt was introduced in 1929, which is before Ocean City was publishing any catalogs. The first Ocean City catalog is 1931. Ocean City actually came into being in 1923 and sold its wares through trade publications for 8 years before it published its own catalog. There is some great history concerning Ocean City.

Here is the Sea Girt in the 1931 catalog:

jurelometer

Just for grins,  I plugged the list price into the US government inflation calculator (http://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl)

$4.00 in 1931 = $62.26 in 2015

Reels were not cheap back then.  The first list price I found  for the Penn Squidder (https://www.mysticparts.com/Assets/images/pennparts/information/PennCatalogs/cat_1939_7.pdf)
:
$25 in 1939 =  $425.54 in 2015.  

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

Tightlines667

Good stuff.

That squidder was a pretty special reel you also have to remember it came with a spare spool and was new technology when it first came out.  I see alot of post-war Ocean City and Pflueger/Templar reels floating around the islands, but some of those early models must be relatively rare.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

foakes

Thanks Mike, JM, and John --

Great history for all to enjoy.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Penn Chronology

QuoteJust for grins,  I plugged the list price into the US government inflation calculator (http://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl)

$4.00 in 1931 = $62.26 in 2015

Reels were not cheap back then.  The first list price I found  for the Penn Squidder (https://www.mysticparts.com/Assets/images/pennparts/information/PennCatalogs/cat_1939_7.pdf)
:
$25 in 1939 =  $425.54 in 2015.  

Marketing at the beginning of the Depression was in a total state of confusion. The Sea Girt is a good example because it is actually a pre-depression reel and had a price tag that reflected that. The model was done by 1932 and lower priced reels took its place.
            The Penn Squidder is another story as it is introduced near the end of the Depression and really aimed at the wealthier client, which was a odd tactic for Penn. Up to this point, Penn reels were Blue Collar reels, the Squidder was a White Collar reel. Penn was very proud of its newly engineered Surf reel and was not going to put it on the market at their usual competition busting prices. Basically because the Squidder was the best surf reel in the world and the price reflected that.
            Here is the 1939 Introduction of the Squidder:

But Otto Henze was no dummy, in 1940, based on the same Squidder technology he added five more models of surf reel and cut the price in half. From that moment on, Penn owned the Surf reel market all over the world.
Scanned from the 1940 Penn catalog:

Ocean City started dropping prices in the early 1930's as did all the makers that survived the Depression. It was a "Do or Die" era.

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

Penn Chronology

QuoteI see alot of post-war Ocean City and Pflueger/Templar reels floating around the islands, but some of those early models must be relatively rare.

There are some very rare early Ocean City reels in the fresh and salt water styles. Since Ocean City had no catalogs until it was in business for eight years, the early reels of the 1920's are difficult to document. A collector has to search out Field and Stream magazines from the 1920's or the old Sporting Good Journals or Folsom Arms catalogs. You find the old Ocean City advertisements in unexpected places.

Also, there are models that pop up in stages of progressive build styles in the state of transitioning from one model to another, that were not documented in any catalog but carry the Ocean City stampings. It is a very interesting and complicated brand to collect.

It will be interesting to see what "old guys" Fred pulls out of his magic storage unit to, "Get the tarnish off of".

coastal_dan

Very cool Fred!  Templars and Atlapacs (since you mentioned Pfluegers) are pulling high prices right now if you find any of those!  Looks like fun, can't wait to see her all finished up.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Mic

Look forward to seeing the finished product myself Fred. I myself am still soaking my parts in mineral spirits. Aint loosened up yet~!

I did find a can of Nevr-Dull at a hardware store in Austin. Worked pretty good on so brass parts.

Good job Fred~!