Shimano Stradic 5000 fg handle

Started by reeltime, May 26, 2015, 08:47:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reeltime

Hello, I have a 5000 fg, and when the handle is set up for left handed (handle on the right), it is flawless.However when it is set up for right handed ( handle on the left), it becomes loose immediately. If I over tighten it stays on but presses the gear and is hard to turn.
Mahalo

reeltime

Update, I had a chance to call Shimano and was told that I needed to replace the frame, because of striped threads. After several attempts to clarify which side/part of the frame needed to be replaced, I was told it was a $20 part, and was emailed a list of repair centers.(?) The threads appear solid.

foakes

It doesn't seem confidently clear to me, that your problem -- is Shimano's stated solution.

And if you order a $20 part -- pay shipping -- when you break the reel down further, you may find other or different issues requiring other expensive parts.

Before going down the rabbit hole too far -- consider a donor parts reel, so you would have everything you may require -- or just leave the reel with the handle on the right.

Just a thought...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

handi2

Does the FG handle go thru the body or does it screw into the main gear? There are no threads on the reels body or sideplate anyway.

When installed on the left side you may need shims on the main gear.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

reeltime

The handle goes through the body with a plastic knob that screws into the other side.

reeltime

Thanks Fred, I've been looking for a donor fg, with no luck.

MarkT

I think you'll need shims when you move the handle to the other side.  Do these come with extra shims in the box?  I have a Stradic 4000FI but it didn't come with a box or extra spool.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

reeltime

No shims, or at least not anymore. Reel has a few miles on it. Any suggestions on DYI shims?
Thanks