Daiwa Tanacom 1000 Question

Started by xaf, May 26, 2015, 09:28:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xaf

I apologize for the double post.  I wasn't sure under which topic this question should be posted. 

I know of many people, myself included, that have had problems with the connector on the power cord on the Daiwa Tanacom 1000.  The reel is very popular for deep dropping here in Florida but the electrical connector seems to be a weak link in the design.  Has anyone else had issues with the connector failing (the wires break internally)?  Does anyone know if Daiwa is aware or doing anything to eliminate this problem?  Does anyone know where you can buy a replacement connector without having to buy a whole new cord?

Thanks Bob

handi2

I haven't had any wire problems but you do have to keep the connector greased with dielectric grease. I use 3 of them.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Wolf

Recently went on a 3 day deep drop trip.My power cord started not working intermitently then went dead.Since we were fishing 900 ft Iwas basicaly out of buisness. Took the connection to the reel apart  and discovered that the crimp to the connector was crimped at the edge of the sleave thus any movement could cause wire to break. Really RINKYDINK.Luckily I was able to rig it so it would work for the rest off the trip.There were at least 8 other power malfunctions that Isaw on the trip. I called DAIWAand got the run around.600.00 reel with rinky dink connections im stillpissed.   Wolf

handi2

You must have gotten some bad ones.

I have been using the 2 of the original Tanacom 1000's for 4 years now without any problems. I now have one of the newer (cheaper) ones without the bling and a 750. No problems so far.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

xaf

Wolf, exactly the same experience for me. I now carry a spare. A fishing buddies went out and would have been up the creek on a 3 day trip if I didn't have the spare.  I'm surprised that Daiwa hasn't beefed up the connector.

otownjoe

I think the problem is the party boats we are fishing.  The way the rod holder's are set up the connector hits the rail when you put the rod in the holder.with this constant abuse failure is only a matter of time.    The only way I can see to avoid this problem is to use a pipe to extend the rod holder to keep the connector above the rail.I think pvc would work for this. Joe

conchydong

I fish mine on a bent butt from the rod holder and haven't had the problems you are describing and it gets worked almost weekly. The rail theory might be accurate.

xaf

Anyone have any updates on this issues?

I have seen many more problems with the cord on the Tanacom reels. Saw one completely short out and melt the insulation off the power cord on my last trip.  I don't think it has much to do with the rod holders.  I believe it is the position were the connection mates to the reel.  It is just prone to being bent back and forth were it is located  Daiwa could beef up the cord with a cord protector or something in that end of the cord. I sent them a polite e-mail concerning the issue a year or so ago and never received any type of reply.  Everyone I know carries a spare cord just in case they have a problem.