First time out using a reel I worked on

Started by dustin.brace, December 19, 2010, 12:12:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dustin.brace

Well, as I mentioned I took out my Penn 555GS for the first time on Tuesday, 18 Dec 2010. My friend Alan and I went on a half-day boat from Seaforth Sportfishing in San Diego, about a 30 minute drive from where we live. Alan and I were both pretty worried that it would be a bad day to go out, Seaforth boats had been coming back with about 2-4 fish/angler for the past week.

We hit the road and made it onto the 12:30 boat along with 13 other anglers. We had plenty of room to fish, the "New Seaforth" is a 95 foot boat. Alan was using a Jigmaster with a 6oz weight and two 2/0 hooks on dropper loops. I was sporting the 555GS with a similar setup. The ride out to our fishing spot was only about 30 minutes. This was my first time out ocean fishing so I may have been a bit nervous, Jaws kept popping into my mind (I have a phobia of sharks...). Anyway, we dodged the lobster nets along the way and hit what the captain called a good spot.

I didn't have a bite for a good 20 minutes, everyone else seemed to be pulling in fish left and right. I kept getting my gear caught on something or another on the bottom. I like to think I was being ambitious and trying to literally "catch the ocean". At some point my terminal tackle got all messed so I decided to take off one of the hooks and move to the starboard side from the stern. I caught a smallish Rockfish within five minutes. Alan decided to come over next to me when some guy kept crowding him. Right around now all h*ck broke loose. Alan and I started catching fish left and right. I pulled in several small to medium rock fish while Alan was doing the same. In all I managed seven good sized rockfish, two treefish and two great sculpins.

After fifteen minutes of trying to get my gear unstuck I pulled up a medium treefish, I never even knew he was on there! About 3/4 of the way through the trip I got a couple of big tugs on my line. I immediately set the hook and began trying to reel whatever it was in. We were only in about 90ft of water but I'll tell you what, it took a good four minutes to reel this guy in. Apparently I need new drag washers because with full drag it was pulling line off my spool. I was pretty dang excited when I pulled the biggest fish I have ever caught over the side of the boat. I had never seen a lingcod before so my first question was, is it poisonous? To my relief it couldn't kill me, but I did discover that it could put a mean hurting on my finger! Sadly, you can't keep lingcods right now, it was eight pounds. The deckhand told me that if I could have kept it I would have won the jackpot! Anyway, take a look at the lingcod and me along with a few more photos.

I had a great time and cannot wait to go out again!
" height="90" width="160

Roger

Roger

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."   Mark Twain

Bryan Young

Very cool, and you caught a Ling on your first outing.  That is awesome. 

Some go months or even years before they hook up to Ling.  I've yet to keep a keeper too.

You should have sufficient drags.  Maybe it's the washer configuration/orientation.  You might want to check it again.  That reel should have eared carbon drags.  The configuration can be changed to allow minimum drag or changed for maximum drag.  If you want maximum drag setting, you may want to configure the drags to be, starting from the main gear, then carbon fiber, metal washer, carbon fiber, metal washer, carbon fiber, then metal washer.  Some of the reels could have been configured with carbon fiber, metal washer, carbon fiber, carbon fiber, metal washer, then metal washer. 

Welcome to California and California fishing.  This is only the beginning...Most of all, have fun.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Norcal Pescador

Amen, Bryan and Roger. That IS what it's all about!! And the best part is a successful first saltwater trip with the first rebuild! Dustin, look at that ling and see why they're such good fighters - all muscle on a long body.

Congrats!
Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

alantani

if it's ok, i'd like to move this to the fishing report section later......... ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

dustin.brace

" height="90" width="160

alantani

someone beat me to it!  i'm always afraid to hold lingcod like that.  the gill rakers are very sharp!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Phinaddict

Nice  catch! I didn't know ling cod wore sunglasses.... ;D

The Two Rules of Success:
1. Don't tell everything you know

Norcal Pescador

QuoteSadly, you can't keep lingcods right now, it was eight pounds.

What's the deal with the moratorium on ling cod now? I haven't been able to find anything on it.
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Bryan Young

Quote from: norcal pescador on December 22, 2010, 04:26:51 PM

What's the deal with the moratorium on ling cod now? I haven't been able to find anything on it.
Shore fishing and diving from January.  It's in an update.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

dustin.brace

Quote from: BryanYoung on December 22, 2010, 06:51:35 PM
Quote from: norcal pescador on December 22, 2010, 04:26:51 PM

Shore fishing and diving from January.  It's in an update.

What does that mean Bryan? Is fishing from a party boat allowed then? I would be amazed if rockfish were out and lingcod were out  ???
" height="90" width="160

Bryan Young

Hi Dustin,

Different regs for shore fishing than boat fishing.  Also different regs for different areas, so it is best that you know the regs for the area that you are fishing.  Up here in NorCal, rock cod, lings, and a lot of other fish are closed for the season.  But crabs are open, so crabbing here I come.

Bryan