drag washer height

Started by cj6530, May 28, 2015, 01:07:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cj6530

What is the appropriate "thickness" specs for fitting CF drag washers into the main gear.  In short, when playing around with different drag configurations/thicknesses.....does the stack of CF and metal washers need to sit exactly at the top edge of the main gear? Can it be a little lower a litter higher.  How do I decide what "fits" best?

Bryan Young

It depends on the reel and the length of the spacer or Anti-Reverse Tube installed in the reel.

A little too high, it may hit the side plate and you will need to shorten the spacer or AR Tube.  This is considering that the last eared washer is sitting at least flush in the main gear.  The drag will function assuming the previous sentence is not a problem.

A little too low, you may need a longer AR tube or spacer.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Keta

I like to set up my reels so the top eared washer is flush with the top of the gear and the last CF and keyed washer above the gear.  Sometimes the side plate is too close so I have to reduce stack height by changing CF and keyed washer thickness.  I adjust the height to fit the gearsleeve with custom length spacers and/or spring and shim washers.  "Perfect" for me slight pressure when the star is backed off all of the way, others want no pressure when backed off.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

cj6530