Trying to Better my Technique

Started by MudShark7, May 17, 2015, 12:46:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MudShark7

Although I am newer to tuning and polishing, I have had better and better results and a lot of that is due to what I have learned from all of you generous people sharing your expertise - Thanks
Took apart and serviced a newly acquired Shimano Curado E. I finally got it back together today (was waiting for an E-Lock that flew away lol).
It feels very smooth but notquite  as free-spooling as other reels I have worked on. When I have the clutch bar depressed the spool spins very well But when
I spin it with the handle it spins (fairly well) and comes to more of an abrupt stop (as compared to other reels).
I was just wondering if anyone has ideas - maybe it's impossible to tell from my description. I polished the spool pin and inside of the pinion and tried
to keep the lite oil lubing to a minimum after taking any grease out of spool bearings. Maybe the bearings aren't as good of quality for some reason.
I appreciate any tips. Thanks  :-\
Remember! - You're Unique, Just like Everybody Else!

Rodman

Mate try marking the pinion gear and the main gear with a scratch so when u put it back together exactly the same as u separated them.   Pinion gear and the main gear wear together so the closest u get them to being the same the smoother it will be.

Ken
Frazorodz
Australia

MudShark7

Thanks, That'll be something to keep in mind in the future. What lube do you like to use on the levelwind? Do you supoose that could make a difference?

johndtuttle

Quote from: MudShark7 on May 17, 2015, 02:46:24 PM
Thanks, That'll be something to keep in mind in the future. What lube do you like to use on the levelwind? Do you supoose that could make a difference?

On the Levelwind some Corrosion-x is perfect. You want to oil the worm and the bushings/bearings that it rides on as well as the outside of the worm guide and any other that the line guide rides on. This will free up the reel tremendously if there is any corrosion there.

As well, I assume your spool tension knob and cast control features are set to zero to maximize free spinning?

basto

Quote from: Rodman on May 17, 2015, 07:13:52 AM
Mate try marking the pinion gear and the main gear with a scratch so when u put it back together exactly the same as u separated them.   Pinion gear and the main gear wear together so the closest u get them to being the same the smoother it will be.

Ken
Frazorodz
Australia
Ken
That is the first time I have heard that. Great tip!! I know it`s good to keep pinion and main the same, but keeping the teeth together is
the way to go. Thanks!
Basto
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

MudShark7

Marking those gears does seem like a good idea! Too late now, I suppose.
I believe the levelwind assembly is properly lubed and the spool tension is backed off.
I am just confused by the difference in the free-spooling and spinning it with handle.
I'm not able to figure out what else might cause that. The only difference is the spin of the anti-reverse bearing, isn't it?

Robert Janssen

About the gears, weeeelll... it is always a good idea to keep track of things as one takes them apart, but many gearsets use a so-called hunting ratio which involves slightly odd gear ratios like 5.3:1 or 3.27:1, (either intentionally or just as a coincidence of the math that came as a result of manufacturing constraints) so that the same gear teeth seldom meet, in order to better and more evenly distribute wear amongst themselves. So marking them is a nice idea, but perhaps largely for naught.

basto

Quote from: Robert Janssen on May 18, 2015, 05:37:21 AM
About the gears, weeeelll... it is always a good idea to keep track of things as one takes them apart, but many gearsets use a so-called hunting ratio which involves slightly odd gear ratios like 5.3:1 or 3.27:1, (either intentionally or just as a coincidence of the math that came as a result of manufacturing constraints) so that the same gear teeth seldom meet, in order to better and more evenly distribute wear amongst themselves. So marking them is a nice idea, but perhaps largely for naught.

I`m learning all the time. Thank you Robert.
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n