Corroded penn w/tiburon frame, what can I soak it in pre disassembly

Started by Tom McKinney, May 28, 2015, 04:51:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom McKinney

Picked up a penn 100 with tiburon frame from auction.  Corrosion on base at screws and also might be corroed where reel is screwed in too.  I want to soak it before disassemble rather than just spray with liquid wrench.  Any suggestions for  an inexpensive dip?  I was hoping a penetrating oil would come in a dip can like chem dip for carb cleaning but i cant find anything.

foakes

Hi Tom --

If it were me, I would disassemble as much as possible -- then soak the frame and other stuck parts -- along with everything else -- in a vat of Mineral Spirits, for 24 to 48 hours.

This is cheap -- reusable hundreds of times -- and unlike other solutions -- will not harm the materials of the reel.

This will not cure the Corrosian -- but it will make things easier to break all of the way down without doing any damage.  Then you can clean up and address the  corrosian issue.

Is the corrosian salt burn, or what do you think?

This condition is always a poster child for greasing ALL screws, stands that might attach to a frame, clamp screws and nuts, attachment hardware, sleeve threads, bearing threads, inner and under sideplates, rings, spool inside ends, etc..

Salt has no friends, and is indiscriminate in what it attacks after we store our tackle without care.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.