Rockfish recipe for Wayne

Started by theswimmer, May 30, 2015, 02:11:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theswimmer

One of the many topics we talked about on the Morro Bay trip was simple recipes for
rock cod. This is the most simple .
Three ingredients,
Fillets of rock cod,
One bottle of Squirt soda pop,
Crushed red chili flakes to taste.

Put the Squirt in a dish, combine the Red Chili with the Squirt and let sit for 10 minutes or so.
Toss in the fillets of cod and marinate for 10 minutes , no longer, pan fry or grill until just done.
Do not over cook or it will be mushy.
Enjoy!
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

Rancanfish

I'm not Wayne, but that looks good enough for breakfast.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

theswimmer

There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

Dominick

Thanks for the recipe.  Wayne won't be cooking the rockfish I will.  His wife gets nauseated if there is a fish smell in the house.  He's got company from NY this week so I don't know if he's seen this thread.  I'll let him know.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Reel 224

"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Dominick

Quote from: Reel 224 on May 30, 2015, 07:23:01 PM
What's Squirt soda ??? 
Joe Google it.  Its been around since before you were born.  And that's a long time.   ;D Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Reel 224

Quote from: Dominick on May 30, 2015, 07:37:12 PM
Quote from: Reel 224 on May 30, 2015, 07:23:01 PM
What's Squirt soda ??? 
Joe Google it.  Its been around since before you were born.  And that's a long time.   ;D Dominick

If it's been around since before I was born then it's older then dirt. Ill Google it. ;D I always forget about GOOGLE!! showing my age hu!

History

Squirt was created by Herb Bishop in 1938, after experimenting with a similar carbonated citrus drink, Citrus Club. The result required less fruit juice and less sugar, which Bishop declared had the "freshest, most exciting taste in the marketplace".[1]

The product received its name because the drink was claimed to "squirt" into one's mouth like a freshly squeezed grapefruit.[citation needed]

In 1941, a mascot named "Lil' Squirt" was created in an effort to broaden public awarenes. Squirt became a popular soft drink in many parts of the country, especially the West and Southwest,[citation needed] In the 1950s, it became accepted as a mixer used in cocktails.

The Squirt brand has changed ownership several times and is currently the property of Dr Pepper Snapple Group.[1]
Product line

Squirt is naturally flavored but contains less than 1% grapefruit juice. Like many other soft drinks, the packaging of Squirt has varied over the years.

In 1983, Diet Squirt, the first soft drink in the United States to be sweetened with aspartame, was introduced.[1]

In the mid 1980s, a vitamin-C-enriched Diet Squirt Plus was briefly marketed.[3]

Ruby Red Squirt and Diet Ruby Red Squirt have also been introduced. Unlike normal Squirt, Ruby Red Squirt contains caffeine.

In 2008, a new offering called Squirt Citrus Power was introduced. Unlike regular Squirt, Squirt Citrus Power is caffeinated, lacks concentrated grapefruit juice, and contains taurine and other ingredients similar to an energy drink.
Ingredients

Carbonated water, high fructose corn syrup, concentrated grapefruit juices, citric acid, modified food starch, sodium benzoate (preservative), natural flavors, glycerol ester of wood rosin, brominated vegetable oil.
References

"Our Brands - Dr Pepper Snapple Group". Retrieved July 2010.
http://www.squirtsoda.com/
"Newest Squirt Adds Vitamins". The Chicago Tribune. October 17, 1985. Retrieved October 3, 2012.
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Reel 224

Sounds like it has changed over the years, but I still never heard of it before. Must have something to do with that closet I was kept in for so long. ::) :P

theswimmer

Thanks Dom,
Squirt has other uses , such as over  chipped ice mixed with Tequila..... ::)

Errol Flynn

Steve-O

Squirt is very popular in Utah. My personal preference is diet dew, however.

The recipe sounds and looks yummy!

El Pescador

Quote from: theswimmer on May 30, 2015, 03:02:58 PM
Wayne=El Pescador

theswimmer!

Sorry for the long delay, but our beautiful Granddaughter and her support units (our son & his wife!) were in town for 5 days, and boy did we have our hands full!!!!!

Thank you for the Rockfish recipe, and BTW, Squirt has been a long time favoriate soda for me!

Wayne 

And here she is!  Catalina Robyn

32 years later, Grand Dad still has it!

Future Angler in training!
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

foakes

What a beauty in pic 1 & 3!

Not so much in pic #2...

Congratulations, Wayne!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

El Pescador

Thanks Fred!

My shoulders feel like I've just hiked 3 days over 50 miles in the high Sierra Mtns!  What a great feeling.

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

theswimmer

Oh My Gosh!
What a beautiful girl. You have that same silly , wonderful look on your face in pic.#2 that I do when I am with  my Grandson Sean.
I have a couple more recipes for you and Dom. Some are almost as simple , one more complex but worth it.
The next time I cook fish I will post another.....
Best to and your kids and Catalina!

JT

Errol Flynn

foakes

BTW, Wayne --

Both of your reels are done now -- and I will drop them in the mail this afternoon when I drive down to Fresno.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.