Coconut encrusted halibut And smoked salmon.

Started by Steve-O, June 01, 2015, 04:03:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve-O

While reading Dwight's  latest fishing trip , I had coconut milk marinating halibut strips and chunked salmon marinating in Yoshida's teriyaki sauce.

Simple halibut recipe. Batter fried the halibut strips rolled in coconut flakes.

Brine the salmon for one day in the fridge and Yoshidas teriyaki sauce. Then some got brown sugar and some got coconut flakes on top.
Fired up the smoker with cedar and alder chips.
And a two hour hot smoke.

Crikey! I had typos galore above. I was using my cell on speak text and auto recognition went down the tubes and No I was not slurring from drinking....i dron't dink any much more.

I was reading about Newell Nut aka Dwight and his excursion on the Pasttime Princess catching Mangos and red snappers.

Steve-O

Sorry about the quality and the typos and whatever... I did this all on my cell phone while smoking the salmon. Outside, in the dark. Old-man-itis.
Not much in the way of multitasking skills with a hot frying pan and a smoker going.

I fixed a major typo.

It should be brine not bring. Geez what a maroon!

theswimmer

That smoked salmon looks delicious.
I use Yoshidos as well.
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

Steve-O

Thanks!

My first batch last year became salmon leather. Dried it right out to hard tack.

Next batch was done in a salt brine. Whoa! Couldn't drink enough water to overcome the salt. I should have known better...I haven't used a salt shaker in decades. Enough salt in Tabasco for me.

Third batch....not bad...a little dry, but tasty.

A batch a two weeks ago and I knew I was getting close....i am eating it like candy.

Tonight's batch of 4 fillets?  Wow! Died and gone to that heaven where the air smells like the ocean and fishing is a happening thing.

I tried to explain "fish candy" to my kids while I was cooking the halibut strips. They would not connect something that smells like fish with candy.  Then my middle daughter tried a piece of the crust, then another and another and I said take a piece of halibut with that crust. She did and answered my question about fish candy with a big smile...now I get it.  Lunch for me the next two days. With " avocado deluxe " but that's a recipe in the works still...but it has Wasabi, Tabasco and Real Lime powder in it.

So here's the finished product. I use a Food Saver brand vacuum sealer and am careful doing the sealing for a good seal and prolonging the life of the sealer. They have a bad rap for "dying easily" ...not so it you keep the wet out and wait the prescribed time between sealing each bag.

These go into the freezer and then thaw and eat as desired. Great with La vache qui ri...cream cheese, brie, any old cheese I suppose and your favorite beverage.

Rancanfish

I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.