Sideplate Issues

Started by akadashoe, June 01, 2015, 06:55:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

akadashoe

Having somewhat of a dilemma with a couple Penn reels, a 501 and a 140.
For some reason when I go to reinstall the handle sideplates onto the frame, the thumb release screw won't line up with the hole.
I don't want to force it, but it appears something is amiss!  Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Shoe

foakes

Hi Shoe --

Sometimes the threaded hole in the right side inner ring will not line up because the frame is old, tweaked, bent, corroded, tight, gummed up, or just off a little.

A little trick that is quick and easy -- a little grease inside where the two rings mate together -- this will protect the reel in the salt, anyway -- plus a latex glove on your right hand for a better grip -- turn the sideplate until the hole lines up with the spring thumbscrew -- this should work.

Good luck, and welcome!

Let us know how you did.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

akadashoe

Fred,

I've already slathered on a generous helping of Cal's to both surfaces, but no luck there.
I'll try the rubber glove routine, tonight.  Great suggestion.

Thanks!

Shoe

Dominick

Shoe you should be able to poke an ice pick from the opposite side to line the hole up also.  Sometimes it takes a little tweak.  Be careful you do not break the thumbscrew.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

day0ne

I know this may be dumb, but you are twisting the sideplate into the lock position aren't you?
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

foakes

The only dumb question -- is the one you don't ask --

There are (3) little nubs on the outer edge of the sideplate ring that is inserted into the larger frame ring.

The larger frame ring has also (3) dog leg slots that are 1/4".

Just insert the sideplate into the frame ring -- push it down and turn clockwise 1/4".

As you will notice, the dog leg tapers slightly down -- so the plate snugs up tightly.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

reelrepair123

fred   i had that problem a couple of times, after lots of frustration i checked things out , i pried off the inner ring with the slots, stuck it on the sideplate secured with the pins and just pushed it into the frame lining up the thumb screw.  harryk

Alto Mare

Most times the older rings won't work with the newer plates. I believe that is the problem, it's very easy to mix parts up.
If I ran into that issue, what I usually do is use a drill bit of the same size as the slot and drill a little where I'm showing with the arrow. its's ok if you go a little deeper, as long as you don't come through.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

akadashoe

Dominick,  I was going to try a small finish nail, but I'm about 1/8" shy of the hole.  (don't laugh, it's true)
Day one, yuup, righty tighty.
RR123, you are referring to the ring that is held down by the small counter-sunk screws, correct?  (2-200)
The ring around the handle plate is riveted on, so I guess I am missing your point.

I'm thinking there may be an issue with the bridge, or something to that effect.
I measured the distance between the sideplate and bridge, and it's right at .047", on both reels.

Thanks guys, maybe I just need the rubber glove treatment........gulp

akadashoe

AM, you may be correct.
I'm mixing and matching plates and rings to find a proper fit.
So what you are saying is just slightly mill out a small spot to facilitate the travel of the pin, correct?

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

akadashoe

That's one in a row, thanks!  ^5