Stainless drag stars: new designs, and more reel options

Started by Three se7ens, June 03, 2015, 03:01:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Three se7ens

I just had a big batch of stainless drag stars cut.  There are a couple new designs, and now all designs are available in 2.5", 2.75", and 3". Most of the designs are available in either 1/8" or 3/16" thick.  The 3/16" thick stars will be more comfortable to use, and the 1/8" thick will be lighter if weight is an issue.  3/16" thick will work on the 113H and Newells, but its too thick to work well on the smaller penn's(jigmaster, 112H, etc).

All of the stars are available tapped to fit any of the following reels:
Newells
Senator 113H
fine thread small penn (10-505 star)
coarse thread small penn (10-60 star)  *I have this tap on order, but it hasnt arrived yet.*

Ive started putting them up on my website, and Ill have everything up by the weekend.  Prices range from $16 to $22 depending on the reel, style, thickness, and size.  There are just too many combinations to list here. 

Tightlines667

Those look like winners. 

Personally, I think I like the last pictured design the best.

I wish we could find a way to get you a proper tap for the Big Boy senators.  With these new inserts, we may want a thicker/stronger star.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Rothmar2

Very very nice Adam. I'm hoping a couple of these filter down here to Oz.  ;)
Also would be very interested in the buttressed threaded stars for the larger Senators if a tap can be sourced, although going to look into maybe trying to turn them on the lathe soon. I'm going to look into making a boring tool with a HSS profiled end if I get time this swing away.
Hope these sell well for you, and you make some dollars from them.
We are collectively very lucky to have you be able to produce these for us.

Three se7ens

Fine thread jigmaster/small penn option has been added to my website for the 1/8" thick stars.  Ill have the coarse thread option available next week when the tap arrives.  I dont have very many of the small sizes in stock, but Ill order more soon.  Id like feedback on which styles and sizes are the most wanted, so I can order appropriately. 

mhc

For the jigmaster stars I prefer the curved design (like your first 113H stars), 2.5" dia.
I'll update my order with 2 fine & 2 coarse thread
thanks
Michael
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

RUSTY OLD COLT

I like the thick  curver star with the coarse thread , let me know when they are available

Alto Mare

You have some nice designs and are priced right, I believe all would sell.
2.75" is a nice size.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

cwillis85

Chris

LTM

Hi Adam,

My first choice is the bottom star; followed closely by the top (Newell-esk) star for its nostalgic sort of look. The stock 113H star has a radius of 1.35" and I prefer the 2.75" diameter star; especially in light of me possibly getting an off-set handle for these reels where the larger diameter star "may" cause some interference. The larger star may be too long for quick adjustment of the drag for my hands. Dont forget Adam that my pending parts order includes two stars: I'll take one like the bottom pix and one like the top pix for the 113H, thick (3/16"), 2.75" diameter, with the counter-bore sized hole (5/16").

Thanx for the survey,

Leo

Three se7ens

Quote from: LTM on June 08, 2015, 10:51:56 PM
Hi Adam,

My first choice is the bottom star; followed closely by the top (Newell-esk) star for its nostalgic sort of look. The stock 113H star has a radius of 1.35" and I prefer the 2.75" diameter star; especially in light of me possibly getting an off-set handle for these reels where the larger diameter star "may" cause some interference. The larger star may be too long for quick adjustment of the drag for my hands. Dont forget Adam that my pending parts order includes two stars: I'll take one like the bottom pix and one like the top pix for the 113H, thick (3/16"), 2.75" diameter, with the counter-bore sized hole (5/16").

Thanx for the survey,

Leo

Don't worry, I haven't forgotten about you.

One thing to note is when using a 3/16" thick star on a 113h, you might not be able to back the drag off all the way without making changes to the spacer. 

Three se7ens

I received the coarse thread jigmaster tap today, and it fits fantastically.  I already ordered more of the smaller sized drag stars, so Ill have plenty of stock by the end of next week.

Heres a 2.5" one on my surfmaster 100

Shark Hunter

Those are sick Adam! They look so much better on a reel.
Life is Good!

Tightlines667

Adam,

I will take 2 of the bottom design, 2.5" diameter, 1/8" thick, coarse thread (10-60 star) for my tricked out jigmasters when you get a chance.  *PM sent.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.