New member!

Started by RonRico, June 03, 2015, 03:32:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RonRico

Alright, it's disassembled enough to see what's wrong with it. The stand is indeed badly bent, doesn't look like it until you try to put the reel back together.

The spindles (?) on the spool are bent, so it looks like I'd need another spool.

I'll report back with anything else I find.

Edit to add: Looks like a Sufmaster/Beachmaster spool fits the 350. I wonder how it would be as a surf casting reel? I wonder if the level wind mechanism would hold up?
Steve from Florida

*Not actually named Ron*

*Not actually from St. Pomme de Terre*

Tightlines667

Quote from: RonRico on June 05, 2015, 02:42:14 AM
Fred, if you look at the reel from the front (or back for that matter) it looks like the entire thing is leaning to one side. The stand is bent and the spool won't turn at all. Haven't taken it apart to see what all is wrong with it. Might just go ahead and do that.

Sounds like a pretty good excuse to 'hot rod' it to me :)
Upgraded drag stack (from Brian), SS sleeve (from the boss), SS handle arm/counterweight(from the master), handle knob (of your liking), SS star (master), Delron over/under gear washers(Dawn), a high speed SS ProChallenger gear set, alum spool (Tiburon), alum frame (tiburon, or vintage accurate).  I'm not sure I have ever seen an upgraded 350.

Just Kidding.  

Likely a new stand, spool, and maybe drag stack and undergear will fix your problems.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

foakes

Post some pics when you can, Steve --

Sounds like a stand and a spool might get it going.

As long as the plates are not cracked, the bushings would be OK.

Those Level Line assemblies are pretty strong, and there is a brass gear driving the mechanism -- and it works surprisingly well.

Glad to help if possible -- but we need to keep you under the $20 rule -- or Alan will demote us and tear off our shoulder epaulets.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

RonRico

No! No hot rodding! If I do one reel I'll have to do 20 more, I can't afford that!  ;D

I'm cleaning the parts up, want to make sure everything lines up well before I invest in any new parts for it.

I'll try to get some pics later!
Steve from Florida

*Not actually named Ron*

RonRico

I put it back together using just the posts, no stand. It still looks lopsided.  :'(

OK, I pulled the spool out of my Beachmaster 155 and tried it in the 350. It seems to spin true. So that's a bit of good news.
Steve from Florida

*Not actually named Ron*

Tightlines667

The 350M shares the same stand (30-200) as a jigmaster 500L/S/HS, Longbeach 67, or Squidder 140L, Beachmaster 155, etc...  

Side plate diameter is the same as a 209, but definately unique to this reel.  It's interesting that the reel has a seperate antireverse dog for the spiral bar, and drive.  

Guess there actually are no available alum sideplates, gear upgrades (uses the same one as the 209), or solid frame upgrades available for these reel anyways (at least not w/o sig modifications)...

Whew...

That was close.  ;)

You may want to check all post screws, the posts, and the spiral bar to ensure they are straight.

I assure ypu though...

You are in good hands with Fred.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

foakes

Steve --

I have new stands 30-200.

Also probably have a spool.

After you post some pics, we will verify numbers, and also check what else may be needed --

If this reel was dropped, or? -- the exterior things that need to be checked for true -- will generally be the handle, eccentric lever, posts, rings, busted sideplates, screws, handle sleeve, bridge axle, and possibly the pinion gear. Should have a stand clamp, nuts, studs, and butterflies, also

Check for hairline cracks in the bakelite plates -- likely fine.

That spiral line leveler is very heavy duty -- and likely OK -- but I have those also -- with the gear attached.

Then we will put in a 3+3 stack of greased CFs with SS, new under gear washer, and new #7 stack spring, if needed.  Might as well get it as operational and capable as possible -- while you have it apart.
Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

RonRico

Everyone, thanks for the help!

Fred, let me preface this by saying there will be a list of several parts I will need, besides the ones for the 350. I'm fixing up a 149, a 9 Levelwind, and an International 20. And those are just the ones that came in this week! I want to wait for a few more ebay purchases to come in and then see what all I need. And I'll need some drag upgrades for a couple of others.

I stole the stand from my Beachmaster to try out the 350, everything seems OK. No cracks, nothing else seems to be bent. The stand that came on the 350 is part number 30-200, but apparently the 30-155 is the same exact thing. That was news to me. All looks good, but I really want to get my Beachmaster back together!

Should I stick with a stainless spool or go with an aluminum one?

Thanks again!
Steve from Florida

*Not actually named Ron*

Bill B

RR....Welcome from the Sacramento Delta......Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!