New member-Hello all

Started by 1Forecon, June 03, 2015, 09:36:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1Forecon

Hello all, first timer here. Finding myself suddenly retired at 46, I was perusing the net last week in anticipation of an upcoming grouper/snapper trip to FL in two weeks and-Voila-here I am! Just picked up an Omoto Triple series 2 speed for butterfly jigging with 65#braid and a 60#mono leader, let's see how it does.

Alan, first off kudos to you and this very informative site. I actually went downstairs upon seeing one of your tutorials(113h, was the one I used), grabbed an old PG3000, tore it down, lubed it,fixed the dog spring issue, noticed it needed another dog for handle back play and wished it could have an AR(anti reverse-not anal retentive) bearing. Can it?? Anyone?? Man, so addictive.

Love the sharing of information and experience found here and the forward thinking without all the bashing found on the rest of the web.

Alan, your more AR(anal retentive-not anti reverse) than me when it comes to your reels-I love it!

Wish this site existed back when I tore down my first Penn 500 on the overnight boat only to give up in frustration, put it in a baggy, drop it off at the tackle shop at the landing to have someone with the knowhow to put it all back together again. That was a humbling and learning experience for a deckhand for sure!

Living in East TN now, you should see the looks on the other anglers faces when I whip out the jig stick and my Taddys for Rockfish/Stripers here. They think I'm nuts but those big 30#plus rockfish just love the surface iron. Who wants to catch and then drift a shad all day-Iron rocks!

Bryan Young, I PM'd you already with some questions and hopefully some upgrades to some long neglected and lonely Penns sitting in my garage.

Missing fishing out of Virg's landing(2010-2012) twice weekly and my beloved Point Loma Sportfishing(1981-1996). Two totally different styles of fishing but both a lot more satisfying than fishing freshwater locally anyways. Will post some pics later of some grouper/snappers when I get back from the 18-20June FL bottom/cooler filling trip.

***Any trick to get my avatar photo from my files on my Mac to upload? Tried changing profile didn't work.

C-ya,
Hank

Bryan Young

Welcome Hank.  Hope we can be of help.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Keta

Hi.

Save your avatar photo on a place like photobucket and then try.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

foakes

Welcome, Hank --

Just like Lee (Keta) sez...use Photobucket.  

Free and easy image managing, upload, download, and storage.

Anytime you post pics -- it makes a more interesting and informative read for folks around the world.

Alan's site will receive nearly 2,000,000 hits this month.  

And this traffic happens with no advertisements or pop-ups, no profanity, no paid product endorsements, no off the wall subjects, and little else that does not relate directly to fishing tackle service, repair, and upgrades.

We are fortunate to have solid moderators with good judgement.

Everyone on here shares their work, techniques, issues, solutions, and ideas freely -- with equality and honest respect.

This holds true for novices, professionals, DIY folks, and anyone who has a sincere interest and passion to learn how to repair, service, restore, or just get their tackle ready for the next trip.

Even the major manufacturers are paying close attention to this site.

A novice can come on here with no repair experience -- pay attention to this site for 90 days, or so -- then they will have more knowledge, and be more capable than 98% of the fishermen in the world.

This is not Grade School -- it is Trade School -- 101.

Whether it is just upgrading a drag stack -- or creating and machining a custom reel from a block of aluminum -- it is found here...

The knowledge here is free -- and this opportunity has been paid for by the integrity and foresight of our Founder -- Alan Tani, along with the moderators and every contributing member.

It is family -- kind of a breath of fresh air in this day and age.

We all look forward to your posts.

Thanks for joining!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Dominick

Couldn't have said it better Fred.  Yes welcome Hank.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Steve-O

Welcome aboard, Hank! Looking forward to your pics and posts.

I came here to find out how to fix a reel and found a new "family" to boot.

Fred said it best...and this in particular is such a truism.

A novice can come on here with no repair experience -- pay attention to this site for 90 days, or so -- then they will have more knowledge, and be more capable than 98% of the fishermen in the world.

Steve

PS-The avatar thing can be tricky....was for me, too, on a Mac. The size constraints are critical as I recall. It's either too big or too small and comes out wrong because of it. At least that's what I recall.

1Forecon

Thanks all, nice to feel welcome. Looking forward to learning and posting my reel experiences here with everyone.

Just waiting for my Cal's drag grease and corrosion x bearing lube to arrive now. Soo addictive.

I'll have to pm Allen for a nice wrench and a bearing packer and lube needle adapter and, and .... I just love collecting tools.

I hope to be going to Gunsmithing school next spring so maybe learning some machining skills will be prudent to reel maintenance as well.

Bryan, thanks again for the timely response to my queries. Just picked up that silver Tib framed 501 off ebay for the price of the frame basically. Can't wait to tear it down when it gets here.

Out

theswimmer

Welcome!
I don't use Photo Bucket but some of my pics are sideways!
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alto Mare

Welcome Hank, you will like it here...I know I do ;)
Enjoy your stay!
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

Welcome Hank, You have arrived! ;)
Daron
Life is Good!

Fisherman Paul

Welcome Hank, it's like a second home on this forum
and sooooo laid back yaaaawn "sorry" nearly noded off there lol,
see it's that easy.

I think Daron is looking for a reel he has only got a few hundred,
or is that a few thousand lol, jeez we need to talk. :D

MFB

No man can lose what he never had.
                                                   Isaac Walton

Bill B

Hank.....welcome from the Sacramento Delta...via SoCal....I loved fishing out of Point Loma and Seaforth.....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!