Newell base for 113H & 501 - useless

Started by Fishit 2, June 04, 2015, 06:35:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishit 2

Just picked these up for the 113h and Jigmaster 501, since I have the bars and spools I figure I should complete the kits with these bases, I guess I didn't pay attention, lack of sleep, stress whatever i didn't realize I will have no way of attaching them to my reel without the top plate of the base or screws - neither of which can be found for sale. In the end it pays to buy the Tiburon frames, complete kit with frame and reel foot - why would Newell even make a base without a foot? Why would anyone want to attach a reel to a rod like that? I Would rather tape my reel to the rod without using a reel seat than have have my reel attached to an aluminum base that is this clumsy.

The Newell bases with the foot are excellent though, just wondering why Newell would even make these and I'm pissed that I bought these by accident if anyone wants them I'll give you a good deal on them.
President of the Down Beach High Class Hookers fishing Club.

Bryan Young

Quote from: Fishit 2 on June 04, 2015, 06:35:40 PM
Just picked these up for the 113h and Jigmaster 501, since I have the bars and spools I figure I should complete the kits with these bases, I guess I didn't pay attention, lack of sleep, stress whatever i didn't realize I will have no way of attaching them to my reel without the top plate of the base or screws - neither of which can be found for sale. In the end it pays to buy the Tiburon frames, complete kit with frame and reel foot - why would Newell even make a base without a foot? Why would anyone want to attach a reel to a rod like that? I Would rather tape my reel to the rod without using a reel seat than have have my reel attached to an aluminum base that is this clumsy.

The Newell bases with the foot are excellent though, just wondering why Newell would even make these and I'm pissed that I bought these by accident if anyone wants them I'll give you a good deal on them.

Would you please provide pictures of the bases you are speaking of?  As I recall, Newell included reel seats in all of the bases...but I could be wrong.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Tunacious

It sounds like you're speaking about a "Deckhand Special" base. These didn't include the feet. They'd be placed on the rod and secured by the reel clamp. These were used with rods that didn't include reel seats. Instead they'd have cork or rope attached to the rod. This was west coast style fishing. I've got a CS 270-8(H) that only has cork to place the reel onto. While my alum base does have feet, the same logic applies. You put a piece of shrink wrap (some use electrical tape) on the cork and then the reel, with clamp, is attached to the rod (on the shrink wrap). The rod has no reel seat. I believe some (maybe all?) Deckhand Special clamps had 4 holes instead of the standard 2.