Big Boy Senator 10/0 - 12/0 Aluminum Side Plate Set. Anyone????

Started by Black Pearl, June 03, 2015, 11:37:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tightlines667

Quote from: ez2cdave on June 08, 2015, 09:10:24 PM
FRAME and PLATES ! ! !

Also, let me throw THIS into the discussion . . .

Remember back when ACCURATE made "MAGNUM" versions of PENN sideplates and spools ? An example was a "magnum" SQUIDDER that used the Drive Mechanism from either a 3/0 or a 4/0 . . . LOTS more POWER and DRAG ! ! !

WELL, how about 12/0 sideplates and a spool that will accommodate a 14/0 Drive Mechanism ???

That would be pretty cool, but cost would definately go up, as a new bridge and gear set would he needed.  Also, the drag range isn't going to change mych between the 12 and 14 w/the inserts. 

So..maybe not all that practical..
though financial practicality has been overcome in the past (with money).
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

ChileRelleno

12/0!

In that price range, yes, I would be willing to commit to a set of plates (Silver) for my 12/0, please & thank you.
I would love to a see a 12/0 frame too.

And another vote for 9/0 plates.

Quote from: Shark Hunter on June 04, 2015, 04:47:03 AM

John, I have seen a 600 lb Hammer caught from shore on a stock 12/0, and I don't see the flex you are talking about.
I am sure it is, but when the fight was over, that reel looked flawless. I caught my scalloped hammer on that same reel just a few weeks ago and it hadn't even been serviced!
Probably a 175 lb fish. I locked it down and got it over. I know now why John was yelling so loudly as he fought his.
It was three times and then some heavier than mine. I know the reel could use a stand upgrade, but I think the problem lies in people tightening down the reel to the rod and distorting the stand.
I think the bars are a great idea. I want a frame as badly as everyone else, but this is going to be a challenge, since there is no prototype for reference.

Just to be specific, the reel had been opened.
I took the right side off to inspect everything was kosher and the dragstack was still GtG, slapped it back together and went fishing again, and again, and again.
Hopefully this dragstack will come out and a 12/0 insert will go in.  8)

I think a lot of stand damage is caused by people over tightening their rod brace.
I've seen a few guys who fish harnessed to the lugs without a brace, that sure as heck could bend a stand too.
As for twisting a frame, man I don't want to think what'd take to do that, maybe if really short screws were used in the posts and not tightened down.
But with stainless upgrades and drag inserts, doubling factory drags and whatnot, I could see someone locking it down far enough to do damage.
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Southernsharker

Would these side plates help heat transfer from the drag better then bake lite? Also I'm not to worried about the stand warping I've seen a 13'1 hammer landed on a 12/0 and that reel looked fine the next day. I pulled the hook on a the biggest bull I've ever seen last night on nassau  bridge trying to get him back through  the pilings on a 10/0 with my hand dug in the spool a and if that fish didn't warp it with the amount of pressure on the stand I'm not worried  about to many other sharks haha.

Southernsharker

Also I'll take a 10/0 in blue or silver and another vote for the 9/0

ChileRelleno

Got a non-member who would like two sets of plates for 12/0s. He'd also be interested in 12/0 frames.
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Aiala

I don't own any 10/0s, but would love two sets of green 9/0 plates to go with my silver Dom/Tom frames...  :)

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

foakes

Basically, and in only my opinion --

We can really modify and overthink possibilities, sometimes...

In the big Senators -- it breaks down pretty simply...the 10/0 is a narrow 12/0.

And the 14/0 is a narrow 16/0.

These are all superb reels as is -- offering a great range of applications.

Then we have the beefed up 9/0s -- which are great.

Even our market for sideplates and frames is limited -- when we throw in 14 innards into a 12 reel -- I do not believe there would be much call for that -- except on a very limited basis.

Sideplates and frames for the big boys would be fantastic -- along with SS guts and versa drag type systems.

Anything outside of that would be personal preference and experimentation -- and very limited in application.

I am thankful for those on this board who are willing to bring these great products to us.  We will look back in later years...and realize what a special time this really is.  

Just my opinions.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

theluckpusher

i would but a red 12/0 frame with a pair of black side plates --- Sean
"To Hell with Luck, I'll bring the Luck with Me." ---Hemingway

Maxed Out

I would be in for a set of the 10/0-12/0 plates in black...........and another vote for 9/0 plates

........if a frame was offered I would also opt for one for both 10/0 & 12/0
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Lowprofile

Quote from: ChileRelleno on July 10, 2015, 02:24:43 PM
Got a non-member who would like two sets of plates for 12/0s. He'd also be interested in 12/0 frames.

Thanks Chile. I finally signed up and got approved. I'd be in for two sets. One in silver one in black. Possibly a third left unfinished to get anodized purple.

Will they be double dog ready?

Black Pearl

Quote from: Lowprofile on July 19, 2015, 03:26:26 PM

Thanks Chile. I finally signed up and got approved. I'd be in for two sets. One in silver one in black. Possibly a third left unfinished to get anodized purple.

They will be.

Lowprofile

Quote from: Black Pearl on July 19, 2015, 03:36:40 PM
Quote from: Lowprofile on July 19, 2015, 03:26:26 PM

They will be.

Awesome. I heard a rumor about some star drags in the works. Didn't see anything on the boards though. I want to get in on those too.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

redsetta

I'll take a 10/O set Alan - either silver or black...
Thanks!
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Strick