Penn Jigmaster Frame Kits....

Started by Cortez_Conversions, June 04, 2015, 04:02:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Germ

Here's my take on it this kit. I also plan to fish mine.

cwillis85

I will send it your way after my trip I have planned with my sister in July. I built mine out of an old and well used 500s (probably not worthy of your frame but it will get some fish in the boat), I know that is a bit of and odd ball reel but it was what I have on hand until I can upgrade.
Chris

fIsHsTiiCkS

I have a silver 500 Penn spool laying a around if anyone is interested for the kit. It's in about 8/10 shape. Let me know and solid looking builds for these already. You guys have to post your catches on those bad boys as well!

cwillis85

Got out to the beach a little late, my daughter wanted pancakes, beautiful day and the storms didn't roll in too early. I took my squall 15 on my surf rod and the new hot rod reel on a short 6' boat rod, never planned to use this reel from the beach but had to try it out. Got lucky, only one bite for me and it happened to be a nice snook from the beach, not sure why he was out where I was, no structure or anything, usually just rays and sharks but not this time. This was my first snook and it jumped and fought like crazy, had a blast, the reel didn't flinch with this fish, had enough to keep the fish from crossing lines, did what it should and had one hell of a first catch on it, just thrilled with it.
Chris

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

swill88

Mine arrived in the mail today - it's just beautiful!

A question Tom... is the eccentric lever white plastic bushing just a press in fit with grease?
Also, what's the small black plastic cap in the clamp package used for?
Thanks.

Just a few more parts needed!

bsfchen

Where'd you get the handle and drag star from germ? Those look slick. I'm most likely going to run mine with the stock handle and star for now since I splurged on an ss gear sleeve, and the full pro challenger package, but I will most likely be changing the handle and star down the line.

Shark Hunter

Quote from: swill88 on June 24, 2015, 07:06:53 PM
Mine arrived in the mail today - it's just beautiful!

A question Tom... is the eccentric lever white plastic bushing just a press in fit with grease?
Also, what's the small black plastic cap in the clamp package used for?
Thanks.

Just a few more parts needed!
Swill,
Those are both to prevent scratching the frame. the cap goes on the eccentric lever tip.
Life is Good!

Cortez_Conversions

Swill88,
As Daron said, the black cap is a cut to size cap that slips onto the eccentric lever. Every aluminum plate I've seen has a dent from slammin home that lever on a hot bite.
The white delrin insert in the handle side plate is to isolate the eccentric. Almost every aluminum plate I've seen has galvanic corrosion around that eccentric. I've actually been researching and thinking about adding a sacrificial diode to my reels.
Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

Tightlines667

Quote from: Cortez_Conversions on June 25, 2015, 01:01:37 AM
Swill88,
As Daron said, the black cap is a cut to size cap that slips onto the eccentric lever. Every aluminum plate I've seen has a dent from slammin home that lever on a hot bite.
The white delrin insert in the handle side plate is to isolate the eccentric. Almost every aluminum plate I've seen has galvanic corrosion around that eccentric. I've actually been researching and thinking about adding a sacrificial diode to my reels.

Interestimg thought.  But you would likely need several to be effective since many subassemblies and parts that are anodized or have coverings do not have direct raw metal to metal contact.  Of course salt and water might just bridge that gap.  Probably take years (or a tourture test) to find out if it is effective.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

swill88

thanks guys... is that blue grease I see around the delrin insert? Thinking of future maintenance.

Also... does anyone know of a silver colored braid?  50 -65#?

Sledge

Quote from: cwillis85 on June 24, 2015, 12:02:49 AM
I know my reel is going to be the least flashy one...

I'm kinda digging that handle.  First time I've seen one...but I'm a relative newb.

Sledge

Quote from: Cortez_Conversions on June 25, 2015, 01:01:37 AM
I've actually been researching and thinking about adding a sacrificial diode to my reels.

A thinker, and a doer.  Tom's gears seem to always be turning.

Shark Hunter

That Silver Handle looks like an accurate. The star looks aluminum. I wouldn't use those. JMO
Life is Good!

bsfchen

Thanks for the input sharkhunter. Waiting for the kit to come in is agonizing haha. One of the downfalls of living on an island in the middle of the pacific