Pflueger customer service...(no rant)

Started by Steve-O, June 04, 2015, 01:56:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve-O

Like many on here, I own some fishing some fishing reels and am an avid angler. I'm not a singular brand loyal kinda guy - I just buy what I like and like what I buy. So I bought a Pflueger 9240XT Supreme spinning reel and it developed some gear grinding issues and serious spool wobble within a week of use. Not being a spinning reel repair person, yet, I decided to set it aside until I learned how. Well the warranty expired ( shame on me ) and a year later I pick it up and decide to send it back with the repair form detailing the issue and requesting a cost estimate before proceeding with repairs so that I may decide whether to have it repaired or not.

A week later there's a Fedex box at the house and I opened it  expecting to find my reel repaired and an invoice/bill. Lo and Behold! Inside is a new Pflueger Patriarch reel of the same size as my SupremeXT. Brand spanking new, with extra spool and neoprene cover. What a pleasant surprise! Pflueger blindsided me with the upgrade. I got online to the customer service contact page and quickly wrote a note of gratitude.

Sure feels good when you get treated like you expect......and it feels GREAT when you get treated better than you expect.

johndtuttle

Quote from: Steve-O on June 04, 2015, 01:56:59 PM
Like many on here, I own some fishing some fishing reels and am an avid angler. I'm not a singular brand loyal kinda guy - I just buy what I like and like what I buy. So I bought a Pflueger 9240XT Supreme spinning reel and it developed some gear grinding issues and serious spool wobble within a week of use. Not being a spinning reel repair person, yet, I decided to set it aside until I learned how. Well the warranty expired ( shame on me ) and a year later I pick it up and decide to send it back with the repair form detailing the issue and requesting a cost estimate before proceeding with repairs so that I may decide whether to have it repaired or not.

A week later there's a Fedex box at the house and I opened it  expecting to find my reel repaired and an invoice/bill. Lo and Behold! Inside is a new Pflueger Patriarch reel of the same size as my SupremeXT. Brand spanking new, with extra spool and neoprene cover. What a pleasant surprise! Pflueger blindsided me with the upgrade. I got online to the customer service contact page and quickly wrote a note of gratitude.

Sure feels good when you get treated like you expect......and it feels GREAT when you get treated better than you expect.

Good on them. Warranties periods are just a formality to limit some of those who abuse stuff and take advantage of companies. Sounds like they had a real lemon and stood by it regardless, as any good company will.

;)

foakes

Great when companies go above and beyond -- by exceeding your expectations when it comes to service and customer satisfaction issues. 

Maybe we should start by making this thread only about positive experiences with companies?

Forget about the negative, for now -- there is enough of that to go around anyway.  Sometimes, we need to share the good that many companies do -- not the negative.

One that I would share, is:

A few months ago, I decided to try and find a tall rolling toolbox with all drawers for Penn reel parts -- to help clear my bench.  After looking for about 90 days at Sears, CL, and nearly every other retailer -- nothing stood out.  Either way too expensive, not enough drawers, too flimsy, used ones were either over priced or thrashed.

I have a large Snap-On Aircraft Taco box for my mechanics tools out in the shop -- so I knew I did not need anything that elaborate for reel parts.  And it had to be a certain size, and certain size drawers -- so I could put one of my line winders on it, if desired.

Found what I needed at Home Depot -- on line -- not available in the store.

A Stanley Ball bearing tall bottom box that weighed 125 pounds -- came in a color besides red or black -- and would not break the bank.  Got a green one on sale for $129, that was regularly $189 -- free shipping if sent to the store an hour away, instead of my house.

Got it --

Upon opening it up, noticed (3) small dents where it was dropped somewhere between Georgia and California, likely by UPS freight handlers.  No big deal, doesn't really show or affect function -- and I want to use it now, not send it back and get another one with worse dents after waiting so long.

Worked out perfect -- but I got to thinking after filling it with parts -- about informing Home Depot that their shipping left a little to be desired.

Got a hold of the CEO email -- sent him a nice little note, with pics -- not screaming or anything -- and not expecting anything outside of a Thank You for bringing it to their attention.

20 minutes later, I get a call from Corporate relations -- nearly insisting that I allow them to send another one.

They would send a truck to pick up the damaged one.

But since I did not want to unload this one, and wait another 2 weeks for another -- I declined their offer, explaining why.

They then asked what else could be done to help make me more satisfied.  After thinking for a minute -- I said if they wanted to discount slightly the matching top box I did not order -- I would pay the difference, and get that one, also. 

They insisted on sending it to me at no charge -- directly to my rural area home -- and would not allow me to pay anything for it.  It retailed for $129 + $45 shipping

It arrived a week later, directly to my house -- fits nicely on my bench, matches the first one -- and now I am a Home Depot fan for life.

I think much of any complaint process like this, involves being civil as well as reasonable -- contacting the right department -- and indirectly offering them a possible and reasonable path to help you. 

Doesn't always work, and that is expected -- but it did this time.

How would some of you feel about starting a thread recounting good experiences with companies?

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Reel 224

Definitely a great Idea!! I couldn't agree more on the positive side of doing business.
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."