AL/FL 3 Day Mini Sharking Vacation

Started by ChileRelleno, June 05, 2015, 06:08:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChileRelleno

DAY 1

OK, the beach access in Florida fell through due to hours of access, i.e. closed 9pm-5am.
Back to the plan of hitting the second beach access on the right going East over Perdido Pass.
Looking at 5pm tomorrow afternoon.
To all those I've been talking with call me if ya wanna meet up... PM for PH#.

We ended up down Fort Morgan off Cortez St/Beach Blvd at the Beach House JHatch was staying at.
A good group of people, Jhatch & family, CJW and his crew and my son and I.
And we had another forum member wander into or camp, Mav72, he was staying just a few houses up from JHatch...  Small Town.

We set some really nice baits out.
Half a Jack at 400-450 yards, whole Southern ray at 300 yards out past the second bar, Cownose wings at 150 yards on the front of the bar and Spanish Mack at 75 yards in the middle of the gut.
The Jack got a nibble, the Spanish got a hard run but the line got tailwhipped and that was that until...

Until the damned Gill net boats that kept running up and down the bar finally wrapped into my farthest drops and started to take my lines.  >:( >:( >:(
He knew what he was doing this was his third and closest pass on us, 150-200 yards tops, he'd stop and yell back at us.
I don't think he liked my spotlight as we tried to wave him off each time.
I cut my lines to contain the damage, but he got half my spool of JB HC 130# braid on my 9/0 and several hundred yards of 100# mono on my 12/0.
I hope the 130# braid eats into his shaft seals and he sinks... No really, I hope his boat sinks...  Arsehole.
This will cost me a pretty penny to respool or at least splice new line on.
Leaders, weights, baits and line, I figure he took me for over close to $125. or more.

Back to the good stuff, everyone was great to meet, everyone seemed to have a good time.

Missing a couple of faces,but people were all over the place.

The Spread

There was some nice scenery in the huge Thunderheads scattered around, this pic doesn't do the colors justice.

Thank you Lord for allowing us to come together and enjoy each others company and nature.
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Dominick

John it sure beats what I am doing.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

ChileRelleno

Day 2

My son and I hit the Alabama Point East beach access at 5pm and set up camp.
A lot of people on the beach, but almost nobody in the water.
Great, lets run some baits!

Not much happened until the sun was headed down and my buddy Justin came down to join us.
As the sun dipped below the horizon we started getting hits, strong jerks and very short sharp runs, making the clickers go off loudly for just a second or two each time.
But nothing wanted to commit, finally later in the evening we checked baits and found that we were dealing with some smaller sharks unable to take our large baits.
But they could take some nice chunks out of them.

We ran some nice fresh baits out, and were greeted by more of the same.
Then we both had a couple of nice strong runs, one that I had was the fastest & hardest run I've ever seen.
I tried to get the hook set after about 30-40 seconds and was greeted by a violent tug and snapping line.
Reeled in and was greeted by a heavily abraded foot long section of mainline, the entire leader was gone.
I can only guess that it was some unknown obstruction or the shark itself... Dang'it!

And to top things off, about 11pm, as the wind had died and the Gulf was a smooth placid lake with barely ripples upon it, out came the Flounder boats from Perdido Pass.
Here we go again.
One guy was a jerk, he drove no less than three times through our line sets, cutting Justin off once.
I was slacking my lines and letting them sink, it worked.
He was not more than 50 yards off the beach and closer, ignored our lights and shouted pleas to steer clear. Nope, drove right through us each time.
When he cut Justin's line it got caught up in one of my leaders and they became so tightly entangled and twisted together as to ruin my section of cable.
It must've been caught in his prop, fouled mine, prop twisted everything together and then cut it all loose.
Again, I hope Justin's braid is eating his shaft seal and his gear case is trashed.

After the tide changed the bite completely died, nothing but Hardheads on casted bait rigs.
We stayed till first light then slowly packed it up, leaving the lot as the sun was breaking the horizon.
Not a bad way to spend the night, it was absolutely beautiful out.
The moon, the water, perfect temps, no insects eating us alive and good company to talk to.

At least one of our crew got some sleep.

Ragnar Benson:
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

ChileRelleno

One leader and two spider weights left, frozen baits are gone & nothing fresh caught and we didn't want to go begging bait.
Not worth spending money on frozen baits.
Had to check out of hotel so no place to crash after all nighter, didn't want to wait for nightfall to try again anyways.
And no one else who wanted to shark... It's a team sport.

So here we are at home again.
We did have a good time, even if we didn't catch anything but a few bug bites.
Ragnar Benson:

Shark Hunter

John,
That really sucks with the boats cutting your lines again. I have yet to experience that, and I hope I never do. You did the best you could and that's all you can do.
After fishing in Navarre, I think I'm going to do that again. Being next to the pier keeps the boats away.
I would have least set off some firecrackers to scare the hell out of him.
Life is Good!

Dominick

Quote from: Shark Hunter on June 07, 2015, 05:53:17 AM
John,
That really sucks with the boats cutting your lines again. I have yet to experience that, and I hope I never do. You did the best you could and that's all you can do.
After fishing in Navarre, I think I'm going to do that again. Being next to the pier keeps the boats away.
I would have least set off some firecrackers to scare the hell out of him.
There is the danger of them shooting in defense.  Be careful.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

bluefish69

We used to have a Charter Capt. that used a Sling Shot & Cherry Bombs to keep other boats away.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.