Avet jx 6/3

Started by Cowbass, December 22, 2010, 06:05:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cowbass

Hey guys, just wondering if there's any drag up grades that can be done to a standard jx6/3 to increase drags from the stock 15/20??? Thanks
SHUT UP AND FISH!!!

alantani

honestly, nothing.  if you increase the drag range, the load on the right main side plate bearing will increase and eventually the grinding will damage the bearing.  that's been my complaint about the smaller avets all this time.  they were designed for straight monofilament only.  they were first introduced 10 years ago and spectra came out at the sametime.  spectra is the problem.  it made the avet sx, mx, jx, lx and hx reels obsolete the day they were introduced.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Cowbass

I own an sx I run with 20 mono for bait and jig striped bass, an mxl 25 mono on a lil heavier stick. I love them, but like you said I fish them w/mono. I also own a pair of 30exw's I run 130 jb hollow and with that reel I see no problem with the big drag range. I'm looking to put a light weight reel on my seeker 6470 for jigging...I want to run like 500yds of 60 jb hollow and short floro topshots.

Anyone have or used a jx raptor?? What's your thoughts??
SHUT UP AND FISH!!!

alantani

i have a makaira 10 II with 400 yards of 65 solid spectra and a 3 foot topshot of 50 or 60# fluoro.  this reel will deliver 24 pounds of drag without side load.  i will be dumping my first generation accurate boss reels in favor of an okuma andros, a makaira 8 and a makaira 10.  check out the okuma board for a discussion of the makaira's!

Phinaddict

Alan,
  Have you heard of a shipping date for the Andros? I am assuming it will hit the market before Fred Hall Show but do you know if it will be earlier?

Gene
The Two Rules of Success:
1. Don't tell everything you know

alantani

i don't know.  okuma has a face book page.  that's where i've been checking in for info.