Increase Drag Strength in Daiwa Lexa

Started by MudShark7, June 06, 2015, 05:41:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MudShark7

Is there something that can be done to increase the overall strength in my Daiwa reel?
It's a smooth reel but drags pay out line on a standard hookset on small to medium size Largemouth, even.
Would 2 thinner drag washers, if available, make the drags stronger?
Remember! - You're Unique, Just like Everybody Else!

johndtuttle

Quote from: MudShark7 on June 06, 2015, 05:41:02 PM
Is there something that can be done to increase the overall strength in my Daiwa reel?
It's a smooth reel but drags pay out line on a standard hookset on small to medium size Largemouth, even.
Would 2 thinner drag washers, if available, make the drags stronger?

You could easily increase the drag by going to a larger stack with custom washers etc.

The question is would you just break the reel though?

1. Which model is this?

2. Have you taken the reel apart? Sometimes their are inadvertent errors that cause a loss in drag like eared washers not seating properly or bellevilles being put back in the wrong order.

MudShark7

John, this is the Lexa 100.
Yes, I have taken the reel apart and cleaned and lubed everything on 2 reels. They are the smoothest and easiest casting reels I own.
I believe they have weak drags when compared to any of my Shimano or other Daiwa reels. I believe everything is normal and in the
correct order on both reels.
You could break the reel by increasing the drag strength?
I'm just looking for an easy upgrade, if there is one.

johndtuttle

Quote from: MudShark7 on June 06, 2015, 07:44:17 PM
John, this is the Lexa 100.
Yes, I have taken the reel apart and cleaned and lubed everything on 2 reels. They are the smoothest and easiest casting reels I own.
I believe they have weak drags when compared to any of my Shimano or other Daiwa reels. I believe everything is normal and in the
correct order on both reels.
You could break the reel by increasing the drag strength?
I'm just looking for an easy upgrade, if there is one.

Ok, have you checked the orientation of the bellevilles to be sure they are () (the ones on the handle under the star)?

This will mess up drag range if they are ))...

If you have dimensions then Dawn at smoothdrag.com may have some thinner washers. Many of these reels share the same dimensions of their gear shafts and washers and you may be able to drop a new stack in with thinner carbontex and thinner stainless washers to increase the drag.

The trouble is that generally the overall stiffness of frame and strength of parts is in balance with the drag they stick in there so you have to be careful.

The good news is that increasing the max drag is still very useful because you increase the mid-range smoothness. If you are getting an 8lb max now, say, then an improved drag will give you a much smoother 8 lbs even though you might be advised to not use the new max often.

best

MudShark7

I'll get on it and check them again and measure washers and drag material while I'm at it.
Thanks for your help, John.

MudShark7

After checking it out, everything looks right and comparing the Lexas to other reels and thinking about it, it seems that the Lexa WILL adjust to a strong drag if you crank it up but the other reels have a much broader range of adjustments at the top end. Even so, the drag feels like an even pull when you do adjust it up but just doesn't have as long of adjustment range. I wonder if the drag material is not as good?

MarkT

I don't have a 100 but have both the 300 & 400. I've caught lots of Calico bass and Yellowtail on both of them. I've had no issue with getting enough drag. Great reels!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

MudShark7

Thanks Mark, yes I have a 300 also - 22 lbs of drag - definitely Not lacking lol
I would love to try it on some Yellowtail but I no longer live in Cal

LTM

Mudshark,

You need to be aware that the diameter of the 100 vs 300 main gears are much different and thus the max drags are different. If you want to increase drag due to using heavier line/braid, maybe you should use a larger reel with larger drags.

Leo

MudShark7

LTM,
I understand it's bigger area on the drags - not to mention multi-stack. I was just responding to Mark's statement.
I'm only comparing it to other similar size reels in the same price range.

fIsHsTiiCkS

Are you getting the 11lbs of drag stated by the manufacturer? Also, have you always had this issue or is it new?

MudShark7

I'm probably gettin +/- 7 lbs. and that's the max No these reels have had this since new. When I set the hook on a Largemouth the line strips out when my rod moves up ... FFFffffffffffttttttttttttt!!!
I've already taken then apart and cleaned and relubed. Everything looks right and it's a very smoothand fun reel to use. I can cast a mile and a half!
I TAKE THAT BACK! IT Won't lift a 5 LB Dumbbell off the floor!!

Keta

it sounds like the bottom metal drag washer might be an eared washer not a keyed washer.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

MudShark7

What's more, my old Citica will just barely lift a 5 lb Dumbbell off the floor. That's a valid test, right?
This has really got me thinking about specs - proclaimed drag versus real world.
To do this, I pointed the reel towards the ground with the line wrapped around the 5 lb dumbbell and the drag ratcheted up, all the way.
Then, I slowly but steadily try to lift the dumbbell up with the weight of the line going thru the line guide onto the spool. It won't lift the dumbbell up!

Keta, here is the schematic to answer your question  

fIsHsTiiCkS

I would swap out the drags with carbontex from Dawn, yes the under gear as well. Then see what you are getting. Sometimes these washers are warn, even from the factory.