Fish Taco Baja Style

Started by steelfish, June 06, 2015, 06:58:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

well, maybe some of you know that in the north side of Mexico specially in Baja and Sonora states most of the people use flour tortillas instead of the normal corn tortillas on food, well, I will show you the normal fish tacos in this zone.

first you have to go to get your own fish
note: the fish is not small but the knife is large 15ยจ

then prepare them in strips with bread and fry them, make your salsa of choice, this time I made a pico de gallo (green jalapenos, tomato, onion) with mango and grilled yellow Jalapeno pepper

then home made flour tortillas, bit juice drops of lemon and .. go

The Baja Guy

Alto Mare

Looks good, I bet it taste even better ;).
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

steelfish

Quote from: Alto Mare on June 06, 2015, 09:00:19 PM
Looks good, I bet it taste even better ;).

it actually taste that good that you can skip the tacos and use the same recipe of this fish with "fish and fries" plate when watching a good movie on Sunday, at least that what me and wife use to do on a boring sunday.

this was on the appetizer table on the restroom this past sunday while watching a good movie with my wife

steamed crabs with a butter and garlic bath

The Baja Guy

Rancanfish

Boy this was good! Just did fish tacos with fresh striper, yum.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Dominick

I couldn't get past the crab.  That got my juices flowing.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

AlasKen

That looks real tasty and the way we do it up north as well.  Our family favorite is AK rockfish tacos with flour tortillas.  Halibut a near second.  This was verified with a blind taste test last summer with the only variable the fish.  It was a close race. 4 to 2 in favor of rockfish.  All caught the day before so equally as fresh.  Ken

steelfish

I can imagine That both dishes of fish tasted so good.
I love all fish That come from Alaska
The Baja Guy

MarkT

It all looked and sounded great. I don't think I've ever had a fish taco on flour tortilla. All million of them I've had have on corn tortillas. I made some the other day with some Dorado!  I had grilled wahoo tonight with kabayaki sauce over rice.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

TomT

As mentioned, in Baja the preferred tortilla is flour---but they make theirs with lard.  they are delicious and is what I use most of the time while I am in Baja.  But in CA I can NOT find a flour tortilla made with lard.  So here I usually use corn and have them "dorado"--which in this case does not refer to the fish--but to the method of heating them.  Dorado actually translates into golden.  To get a golden tortilla you usually fry it.  The Baja flour (harina) tortilla and the fried Ca corn tortilla are probably not the most healthy way to have a tortilla, but they definitely taste better. Just my opinion> ;) ;D
TomT

steelfish

few poison on the food havent kill anyone yet, right?

Lard on the flour tortillas is the secret for that unique flavor and consistence when you re-heat it on the grill or stove, there are few brands that use corn oil to make the fluor tortillas and still are delicius.

those golden (fry) corn tortillas are called "tostadas" ( dorado = fried up) , they are specially used for ceviche but you can always use salty crackets.

The Baja Guy