Mitchell 1090 Big Game Reel

Started by Tightlines667, June 07, 2015, 12:42:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tightlines667

Has anyone ever heard of or know anything about the Mitchell 1090?

http://m.ebay.com/itm/171817146175

I am tempted to 'buy it now'.

But it is made in France

Berk!

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Penn Chronology

These reels were sold in the 1970''s. They were very undervalued, selling new for about $75. Lately they have had a serious price rise. When new they came in a very nice, felt lined wood box with a special internal mounting for the reel.

Here is my 4/O in the box.

They were offered in a 4/O, 6/O and 9/O

If you want one as a collectible, you should look for one as mint as possible and in the original wood box with all the accessories, special spanner wrenches and papers. I would not bid on the one that you are watching. You can do better, especially at that price. Three hundred dollar plus is high for this reel.

Made in France Mitchell reels are high quality and usually regarded as more desirable than Mitchell reels not made in France.

I knew people that owned them back in the 1970's and they had very good things to say about them. I have never fished the one I have, it has lived on a shelf as long as I have owned it.

Alto Mare

That's a lot of reel for the money, Mike, you have everything ;D.
I'm interested to see what the inside looks like, do you have the schematic? I don't want you to break yours down.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Penn Chronology

QuoteThat's a lot of reel for the money, Mike, you have everything Grin.
I'm interested to see what the inside looks like, do you have the schematic? I don't want you to break yours down.

Nope, I do not have everything, not even close.  ;)

I have never taken one of these down. Mine is basically new, there was never a reason to take it apart. I do have a belief in the old saying, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", so I will not take it down but I will make a inquiry on the ORCA forum. Maybe one of the Eggheads over in my other internet world forum may have a schematic, if so I will transfer the info over here.

Later,

Mike C.

Penn Chronology

Historically, these reels were always sleepers. They are high quality, at very low prices. I feel that Mitchell was sort of experimenting with the big game market. Basically, the experiment was a success but the patient died. They made a great reel; but priced it much too low, so rather than start playing with the pricing, they simply got out of the game and went back to what they normally did, making great spinning reels! These reels are not too easy to find. They idled along at very low prices until about a year ago, and then they came out of the closet.

I have owned mine for many years, if you look, the date on the photo I posted is 2007. I only paid about $50.00 for it NOS in the box, today I could get $250 on a bad day. The only thing missing is the paperwork.

I have placed a post on the ORCA forum asking if anyone there has a schematic or a parts breakdown drawing for any one of these reels. The three sizes seem to be exactly the same except for size, so any schematic will do.

Penn Chronology

QuoteI'm interested to see what the inside looks like, do you have the schematic? I don't want you to break yours down

Best I could do on a short notice;

We really have Ray Hodges aka Superhook to thank for this schematic / parts breakdown, he found it.

foakes

I have the same schematic and price list in a Dealer Parts List book, dated April 1, 1969.

Interesting to just take a look at the price for a few of the parts --

Main drag gear and lever control assembly -- $49
Drag lever plate -- $28
Right side plate -- $35
Left side plate -- $32
Reel foot -- $21
Spool -- $31.50
Drag plate with ratchet -- $19.50

These are only 7 of about 75 parts --

And this was over 46 years ago!

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Penn Chronology

QuoteI have the same schematic and price list in a Dealer Parts List book, dated April 1, 1969.

What makes it really interesting is that the selling price of the reel does not equate with the cost of the parts. If you need a few major parts, you were better off buying another reel, it was cheaper that way.

Penn Chronology

These are not the only big game Mitchell reels. This one is even harder to find. I do not have one of these.

You see Sal, I do not have everything. ;D

Tightlines667

Quote from: Penn Chronology on June 08, 2015, 06:10:13 AM
QuoteI have the same schematic and price list in a Dealer Parts List book, dated April 1, 1969.

What makes it really interesting is that the selling price of the reel does not equate with the cost of the parts. If you need a few major parts, you were better of buying another reel, it was cheaper that way.

Fred,

The high price of the parts was the first thing I noticed when looking at that schematic.  I mean the total cost of a reel built from individually purchased parts should run...What...3 or 4 times the cost of a new reel, max?  Back then it seems like most reels were typically less...like maybe 2 times.  Of course reels with more parts tend to have a higher ratio.

Also, I can't believe 2 different members were able to drum up schematics on a fairly uncommon reel produced close to 50 years ago in short order...

Actually, given the resources available and the members that are here... on second thought...I can.

Mike,
Thats a pretty one.  Looks like a slightly different design.  I'd like to take a look inside either or both of those guys.

Thanks for sharing the knowledge guys!

Good stuff.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Alto Mare

Thanks guys, I knew I would get some info if I asked ;D.

John, I'm with you about taking a look inside ;).

Mike, that 12/0 looks awesome, how much does he need to have for it? ;D.

Thank you!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Penn Chronology

QuoteThats a pretty one.  Looks like a slightly different design.

I never owned a Model 1090. looks different in relation to the size of the parts. On the 1040 (4/O) the parts look too large. The drag lever looks to big for the body of the reel, on the 9/O it look about right. Usually time sort of balances out the cosmetic designs of a model. The model evolves into what it should be. With these Mitchells, there is no evolution. They were gone from the market in a few years.

QuoteMike, that 12/0 looks awesome, how much does he need to have for it? Grin.

Those are really hard to find but I do not think they are crazy expensive. I have no idea who owns this 12/O President model, I just found a picture of it online. We should all keep an eye out for the President 12/O on EBay. Who knows when one will pop up.

Fred, do you have any paper on the Mitchell 12/O President Model?

Penn Chronology

I got a good copy of the 1090---9/O schematic.

And the 1040--4/O and 1060--6/O;

That should do it, straight from the ORCA library.

foakes

I'll take a look, Mike --

But kind of doubt it -- never even knew they made one that big.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Penn Chronology

QuoteI'll take a look, Mike --

But kind of doubt it -- never even knew they made one that big.

Thanks Fred. The 12/O seems like a much newer model than the 1040, 60 & 90. It could possibly be a Limited Production model.