Main and Pinion Not Meshing Correctly

Started by akadashoe, June 07, 2015, 07:24:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

akadashoe

Ahhhhhh, now we're getting somewhere!   ;D
If I installed the wrong pinion, they sent me the wrong set.

Alto Mare

Not necessarily, when you order two different sets, it's very easy to mix the two pinion.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

akadashoe

I only ordered the one set.
I also tried the pinion that was existing in the reel before I made the switch, and it wouldn't work either.
I'll check this out a.s.a.p.
Black Pearl, any advice for me?

Alto Mare

Sorry, I thought you ordered two sets. Still a good idea to do a little test as I mentioned above and see if the pinion slides all the way up with little effort.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

akadashoe

No worries Sal.
I wish I could afford upgrading ALL my reels :D
I'd like to get this bad boy finished before Father's day and surprise the 'ol man.
I'll definitely try the sliding pinion when I get home.

Thanks guys, you rock!

Black Pearl

Quote from: akadashoe on June 08, 2015, 10:14:20 PM
I only ordered the one set.
I also tried the pinion that was existing in the reel before I made the switch, and it wouldn't work either.
I'll check this out a.s.a.p.
Black Pearl, any advice for me?

Can you post a picture of the gear set I sent you? Did you buy is from my Ebay store or the online store? Any your name. I want to check your invoice.

I am wondering if you have the custom (main gear milled down 1mm deeper) gear set.

Thanks,
--Alan

akadashoe

Black Pearl

Here is the updated. Akadashoe reached out to me, and we were able to identified the problem he was having.

Since my Jigmaster 500/501 5:1 gear set has a smaller OD pinion gear, it will fit the stock spool shaft. He has the Tib spool. It is a known issue that my Jigmaster 500/501 5:1 pinion will not slid all the way in the Tib spool shaft.

Akadashoe is going to reach out to Sal for other alternative.

Tightlines667

BTW... a remindee...they work great with the anaversity spools.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

fIsHsTiiCkS

The tib spools just need a little sanding from a emery cloth and they slide through the pinioins great.

akadashoe

Update to the update:
It seems as if I had the incorrect star installed on the reel, and also had a couple of less-than-flat steel washers in the stack.
Thanks for the assistance Alan and Sal.
Live....and learn!