Penn Baja Special broken parts

Started by steelfish, June 07, 2015, 08:45:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

are this still usable ? salvageable to keep using them?

this is a reel that was brought to me will a lot of lost parts and broken parts, the owner want it working again and I have my doubts if these two parts are still good to use with little tinkering or are ready for the trash can and order them new

the bridge had lost a pin or post where the one of the dogs is attached

and the handle side plate also lost a plastic post, where the bridge sits, i think the 4 external long screws that attach the bridge to the side plate are good to keep it working but I dont know if the lack of that plastic post will cause some kind of un-aligment (sic) on the drag stack when you have a nice and strong fish on the line, the first part to go will be the handle bearing (last model).

any recommendation?
The Baja Guy

handi2

The fine folks at Scott's Bait and Tackle (www.mysticparts.com) will have everything you need to get that reel back into shape. The parts are still available and you can get that pin for the dog. I would just fill the missing material with a strong epoxy. After cleaning it out with Dremmel tool you can install a small pin to hold the epoxy.

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

steelfish

Quote from: handi2 on June 07, 2015, 11:17:50 PM
The fine folks at Scott's Bait and Tackle (www.mysticparts.com) will have everything you need to get that reel back into shape. The parts are still available and you can get that pin for the dog.

I already went to check everything on scotts, thats why I can here, the pin for the bridge dont appear as a singular part on the schematics so, I think its not sold separately.

I dont know if you and the rest of the guys that have many years of working on reels know if any other reel have this kind of pins on the bridge so I can get it and glue it on this

The Baja Guy

Dominick

Steelfish, check out this product.  You might be able to fix the side plate. 

https://www.thegrommet.com/bondic-liquid-plastic-welder-starter-kit

Maybe you can use JB bond to build a post. Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

johndtuttle

Quote from: steelfish on June 07, 2015, 08:45:40 PM

this is a reel that was brought to me will a lot of lost parts and broken parts, the owner want it working again and I have my doubts if these two parts are still good to use with little tinkering or are ready for the trash can and order them new

and the handle side plate also lost a plastic post, where the bridge sits, i think the 4 external long screws that attach the bridge to the side plate are good to keep it working but I dont know if the lack of that plastic post will cause some kind of un-aligment (sic) on the drag stack when you have a nice and strong fish on the line, the first part to go will be the handle bearing (last model).

any recommendation?

Well, first recommendation to the owner would be to be nicer to his reels :D!

I am pretty sure the nylon post is non-essential, in fact cannot imagine how it got broken....

I would ask that you post this one on the Penn site at striperonline.com

Their service department follows all the posts there and they can check with their engineers etc for a definitive answer.

steelfish

Quote from: johndtuttle on June 08, 2015, 07:08:26 PM
Quote from: steelfish on June 07, 2015, 08:45:40 PM

any recommendation?

Well, first recommendation to the owner would be to be nicer to his reels :D!

I am pretty sure the nylon post is non-essential, in fact cannot imagine how it got broken....

I would ask that you post this one on the Penn site at striperonline.com

Their service department follows all the posts there and they can check with their engineers etc for a definitive answer.

Good call and bumd me, I forgot totally that BD also has a Penn section there..
thanks buddy

PS: I already asked the owner how the hell he broke those parts?...  no answer given.
The Baja Guy

johndtuttle

stripersonline will be best.

Steve Carson answers the posts on BD Outdoors...and he then just has to forward them to the service department.

The SOL forum will go direct.  ;)

steelfish

well Steve already answered on BD and said those both parts need to be bought no repair service on broken parts

for the missing metal post, I will try to fit a 4mm machine screw (maybe reduce the diameter with the dremel) and then cut it at the same height than the other post, add a drop of epoxic and made some tests.
that part is $33 bucks, or maybe this guy just want to buy it new ::)
The Baja Guy