Nice Stripers on homemade plugs!

Started by STRIPER LOU, June 08, 2015, 05:29:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

STRIPER LOU

We got out fairly early this AM and back to the dock shortly after 7 am. They didn't want the big plugs for whatever reason but they were happy to take my homemade Slope Head Swimmers like crazy. I think the smaller plug was more of a match as to what they were feeding on. We even had a double header (released) with the homemade dropper bucktail plug combo. 7 fish, all released but 2 for a hour and a half's fishing, we were very happy!
My buddy got a 40 on one of my homemade bucktails last week and came over to the house and bought every last one I had. He was stoked.
Perfect weather this am and tide . Outgoing, overcast, moderate chop, doesn't get any better.
Guess what's for supper tonight!!!!!

Reel 224

Nice looking catch, do you mind telling us where they were caught. I haven't had a chance to get back to the hook here in NJ.
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

STRIPER LOU

No problem. My boat is in Niantic Ct and I fish all the local reefs. It was a great morning!
................lou

Steve-O

Good healthy looking tubby Stripers! Nice to catch them on lures you crafted, too. thanks for sharing!

Reel 224

Quote from: STRIPER LOU on June 08, 2015, 05:42:58 PM
No problem. My boat is in Niantic Ct and I fish all the local reefs. It was a great morning!
................lou

I hope we have the same luck here in Sandy hook Bay NJ
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Newell Nut

Nice looking stripers. Those things have to be some fun to fight.

foakes

Nice job -- great plug design.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

STRIPER LOU

All the fish caught that morning were tanks. Very fat and great fighters. I suspect they came down from the Hudson. Very dark in color and very few sea lice. Usually the sea run bass are light colored and loaded with lice. We dropped one close to the boat that looked to be 40/45 lbs. Hope someone else gets a crack at her!

coastal_dan

Very nice, and on your own plugs takes it up a notch too!  Thanks for sharing.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Doug

Very nice How deep do those plug swim or is it a matter of the retrieve rate ? Doug

STRIPER LOU

Hey Doug, They will run about 4 to 5' with a faster retrieve. Because of the slope head, plus they're heavily weighted, and if you bend the lip up you might get a bit more. I almost always fish them on wire or leadcore. Not saying you wont catch big fish on top but the larger girls hang on the bottom. I like to put the odds in my favor. Using an older Harnell blank 8 ' long and the new small dia. leadcore makes for plenty of fight on 25 to 35 lb fish. And when you hook a 50, plan on doing a bit of chasing. Been doing this for over 50 yrs now and still cant wait to get out and do it again!!! Since I started fishing, 34 fish over 50lbs and the biggest 59lbs 13oz. Still looking for a 60 or better but its a tougher go on artificials.
Lots of bunker around this year and that's when the big plugs do damage. Maybe I'll troll a pogie or two! Whatever works.
..................lou

newport

Very nice stripers you got, Lou. How heavy do you make these swimmers? Currently I'm using 3oz on my conventional surf reels, but would like something around 4oz as they are not the greatest casters. If so, I would like to buy a couple if you're interested in selling.

Alto Mare

Very nice Lou! They don't call you "Striper Lou" for nothing ;D.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

STRIPER LOU

Hey Newport,  I can be make them anywhere from 2 to 6 oz although the design changes a bit to get the action back to working properly. Every plug is tested and adjusted. The action is the most important thing. I sold out in march for the season and don't start building again till November.
....................Lou

STRIPER LOU

Thanks Sal, its been a great year so far. I got a 39 pounder the other day and my buddy got a 40 on the dropper bucktail last week. Up at 3:00 am tmrw. All the rods are rigged with plugs except for one. That one has what the guys call the Tube a Lou. Just a tube n worm rig I make but a special setup with scent gland. I'll fill you in when I get a chance.
Your new rod is awesome. Dwight does some really nice work. I make a few but certainly not in the class that he turns out. That rod will look even more amazing next to a couple of big bass!
Just picked up a used PM1127 lathe. Turned up some custom knobs the other day and so far so good.
............The best,  ..  lou