MODIFYING HANDLE ARM TO FIT GEAR SHAFT?

Started by LTM, June 09, 2015, 03:40:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LTM

Hi Folks,

I "MUST" make some power handles for some reels. I would buy these, but no one makes them for the Daiwa 30h/30sh, 300h, or the 400h.  Therefore its up to me to get this done. My plan is to possibly get a handle blank somewhere or use an existing factory handle to get the job done. What Id like feedback on is what process/procedures I need to take. At most the tools I'll have available will be: bench top drill press (must get from storage locker and setup temporarily), drill press vise, electric hand drill, dremel tools, files and taps.

Ive already donated a handle to the reel gods in my first attempt to "file" an existing handle to fit with miserable results. So now Im asking the experts what are the proven steps to ensure a tight fit. The above first attempt was with a handle that was made of somewhat "soft" aluminum which was pretty easy to file/dremel. In the process of using the file I was wondering if the soft aluminum might be tooo soft to really crank down on. Therefore Im looking at some factory Torium or other handles of a harder material. However along with the harder material it will also be harder to cut/file to fit.

Here's how I planed to get it done:
1. scribe outline of intended shape on handle, but I dont know how to go about this for an accurate fit.
2. use drill press like a mill and the correct size bit (slightly under in size to finish file for tight fit) and drill/connect holes to make the basic rectangle to fit the crankshaft, then finish the rounded ends with same bit.
3. file the rough shape to fit exactly. However the small files I used on the soft aluminum handle has loaded-up to the point that I cant get the excess/loaded aluminum out of the files even with the file brush I have. Where do I get "good" files to handle this job, this small?

As you can see, Ive got some questions and I dont want my final results to look too much like "homemade". So, what do you guys think about using soft aluminum as a material to make the handles from? I would appreciate help from you guys that know how to do this and I'll post my efforts here to help others like me get out of your hair asking to make handles for them like me.

Your help will be appreciated,

Leo

fIsHsTiiCkS

I personally try to stay away from aluminum for a handle, unless it is of a higher grade. A suggestion would be to take the measurements of the handles and post them here, I bet that we could find a handle that is very close and then only have to modify the hole to fit properly. I know several people that have done that.

LTM

Quote from: fIsHsTiiCkS on June 09, 2015, 04:03:53 AM
I personally try to stay away from aluminum for a handle, unless it is of a higher grade. A suggestion would be to take the measurements of the handles and post them here, I bet that we could find a handle that is very close and then only have to modify the hole to fit properly. I know several people that have done that.
This is my plan to take something close and modify it. However as I stated my fist attempt was terrible. Any suggestions as to how you go about this?

Leo

fIsHsTiiCkS

Just post the measurements and then we can see from there, I know Alan T. has a ton of custum handles for various reels then you can try and modify.

LTM

Quote from: fIsHsTiiCkS on June 09, 2015, 04:40:29 AM
Just post the measurements and then we can see from there, I know Alan T. has a ton of custum handles for various reels then you can try and modify.
My plan is to use "offset" handles, which alan doesnt usually have.

LTM

Any words of wisdom from you metal cutting experts?

Leo

Three se7ens

I could do any of my handles with either no hole or a round pilot hole. Pm me if you're interested.

I'll post up some info on shaping and fitting metals later when I have a little time.

Bryan Young

If I'm not mistaken, Alan may have handle arms for The 400H reels.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Three se7ens

Ill start with the files:  dont buy cheap files.  If it says made in China, dont buy it.  I only use Nicholson files, mostly made in Mexico now. The files are made from better steel, properly hardened, and are sharp.  Sharp files cut easier and dont load up as easily with aluminum.  Using a light oil, such  WD40 will help with any loading of aluminum.  Chain saw files are a good size for fitting handles, and they are very fine.  Fine files take off less material and leave a smoother finish.  I use larger and coarser files for heavy cutting or removing more material.  I hold the handles in a vise about chest level so I can see and keep the files straight and level.  I attached a picture of some of the files I use.  The small round one is a chainsaw file, and I primarily use that and the triangular one for fitting handles to gear sleeves.  The small one at the bottom is a diamond file thats part of a set. 

The problem with milling the hole is that a bit small enough to go between the flats has too small of a radius to get the round sides.  You could get the bolk of the material out, but it will still require a fair amount of filing to make it fit.  I dont think you will be able to drill 2 holes that close together, the drill bit will tend to walk out.  End mills dont work very well in a drill press, but if thats all you have, it might give acceptable results.  Rigidly holding the material is very important. 

swill88

Quote from: Bryan Young on June 12, 2015, 08:47:44 PM

Which Alan?

Porthos

Quote from: LTM on June 09, 2015, 03:40:39 AM...Ive already donated a handle to the reel gods in my first attempt to "file" an existing handle to fit with miserable results...

Bummer that it didn't work out for you. I used ones from Harbor Freight:
http://www.harborfreight.com/needle-file-set-10-pc-69876.html

Shark Hunter

Quote from: swill88 on June 13, 2015, 12:00:54 AM
Quote from: Bryan Young on June 12, 2015, 08:47:44 PM

Which Alan?
That would be Mr. Tani. He is getting ready for his big trip right now. You might have to wait until he gets back.
Life is Good!

Three se7ens

Quote from: Porthos on June 13, 2015, 03:35:26 AM
Quote from: LTM on June 09, 2015, 03:40:39 AM...Ive already donated a handle to the reel gods in my first attempt to "file" an existing handle to fit with miserable results...

Bummer that it didn't work out for you. I used ones from Harbor Freight:
http://www.harborfreight.com/needle-file-set-10-pc-69876.html

Thats the exact set of small diamond files I have.  Great for finishing work, and hardened steels mormal files cant cut, but dont expect to remove much material with them.  They are very fine grit.  The quality is rather good for harbor freight too. 

I dont believe Alan Tani offers offset handles. 

Rothmar2

Leo, I gave a bit of a written description of cutting key-slots in metal drag washers here...

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=12753.15

It's basically the same principle as the handle arms. It might give a few clues for you.
x2 for quality files, and forget using aluminium, if you're going to go through this process, you might as well make something that will outlast you. Do it right first time.
You will get a lot of satisfaction when you have created something of this quality when you succeed.